Automatic Transmission

lostdude, May 23, 1:21am
Looking at replacing A/T since it made a loud bang going from neutral to drive. Reverse works fine but any forward gear now sounds like it's grinding.

Just wanting to know if this transmission is the correct one I need:
http://is.gd/ymHaKG Here's a pic of my chassis plate: http://iforce.co.nz/i/zmuf4x5h.iyq.jpg

If not, can anyone recommend one that will fit! There are some others here of the same model transmission but came from different cars and engines.

Thanks.

mm12345, May 23, 2:46am
What model and year is the car!
The parts place has a later trans (95-99 N15 Pulsar) trans for the same price as the one you linked to.I thought (but could be wrong) that the GA15 "DE" engine on the plate indicated that it's a later model than 91-94 where the earlier engines may have been a GA15 "DS".
Perhaps the trans are the same, perhaps not, but as both seem to be available and inexpensive, it would pay to get the right one as what may seem to be a little difference could really trip you up.
Are you sure it is the transmission munted - not something else, a rooted CV, axle spline circlip not popped out etc!

lostdude, May 23, 3:25am
I've had a mechanic check it out & he confirmed my suspicions. Another 2 I spoke to over the phone before that both reckon its the transmission as well. CV would render the vehicle immovable as would axle spline. It still moves on 1st gear & drive but makes a grinding noise when engaged. In reverse or neutral the noise disappears. Steering is also fine.

The car is a '94 Nissan Sunny & I appreciate the sentiments of getting the right diagnosis as I don't want to be spending money unnecessarily. I must add, the car had the engine replaced 2yrs ago now.

Thanks for the help so far.

ema1, May 23, 6:00am
Was the trans replaced at the same time as the engine as a complete unit!
Best to go by any data plate on the trans itself .if it has one.

les6, May 23, 6:20am
you can`t really expect an accurate diagnosis over the phone!
could be just the governer gear!

mm12345, May 23, 6:29am
Nope.I have a GA15DE pulsar auto, and replaced CV boots on it about a year ago.I thought I'd popped the passenger side axle back in okay.All reassembled, and it still drove okay, but serious graunching noise from the trans area.In that case it got a bit worse on full lock, so pretty obvious that's what it was (and easily fixed), but if the axle circlip isn't popped in properly, it will still drive unless it's so far out that it's completely out of the splines, and there's no room for that to happen.But unless you had a prang, hit a kerb or something else has happened, I expect that the chance of an axle circlip dislodging would be pretty slim.
If you do the trans swap, one PITA part of the job to look forward to (not) is getting the ball joints on the lower suspension arms free, which you'll need to do to get the axles out.

Morrisman - a regular poster here - plays around with these Nissan engines.He might be able to give some advice on whether the trans is the right one for your car.

lostdude, May 23, 7:34am
Yes I remember Morrisman giving me advice at the time of engine replacement too. I hope he reads this. Thanks.

mm12345, May 23, 8:00am
No - absolutely not.
Another suggestion - probably a long shot - is that there are known issues with a governor gear on these trans.It's a simple and inexpensive fix apparently, but I believe would probably result in erratic shifting rather than graunching.
I think I'd be looking under the car and listening.If the noise seemed to be coming from the bell housing, especially as it's had an engine swap, I'd be pulling the inspection plate out at the bottom of the bell housing, and just checking that all the bolts holding the torque converter in place are there and not loose.
These cars are okay - good supply of cheap parts, transmission swap for a few hundred $ is pretty good if it comes to that, which does sound likely.