Best van make & model?

jijimee, May 21, 6:52am
I've heard the 'M' brands are not so good for vans (Mitsubishi, Mazda) is that true! Any other tips! Thanks!

franc123, May 21, 7:04am
You better start by stating what exactly you are looking for, what your budget is and are you looking for a Jap van or the larger European style ones!There are obviously big differences in load volume, as well as comfort and safety.

yogibearz, May 21, 7:10am
Wonder why we used to service a number of 2-300000km + rural delivery vans with the letter M as a name if they are as bad as people seem to think !

dyln.sampson, May 21, 7:11am
U should just get a vw crafter!

yogibearz, May 21, 7:22am
Ive heard all sorts of rubbish too. A lot of it on here. But I Believe what I have seen go through the workshop. Like most mechanical appliances or machines, vehiclesall have a recommended manufacturers service plan. I have no doubt a lot of the people who dont like specific makes and models never adhere to service plans. In fact looking at some of the spelling on here you would wonder if some of them can even read and write.
Its probably easier to say its a heap of rubbish and move on to the next one.

robotnik, May 21, 7:27am
It gotta be the Toyota Hiace.

r15, May 21, 7:28am
most people end up driving hiaces after trying everything else

hiaces cost the most, people love them, for a reason

jijimee, May 21, 8:18am
Thanks everyone. We've been leaning toward Toyota Hiace. It's mostly for round town, carting family etc, prob not many long trips. Not really wanting bigger than about 2000cc. Thanks, appreciate your thoughts.

r15, May 21, 8:19am
in which case better to look at granvia / elgrande / noah / estima / mpv/ lol multipla.

as a van van, hiace, but as a passenger van there are many better options.
that said the super custom hiace is a nice passenger van too

i-n-horz, May 21, 9:46am
Got a 94 Hiace 2.4 petrol 11 seater.ferk'n brilliant.5yrs now and a waterpump seal has been the only fix, me eldest boy is taking it of my hands (reluctantly for me but joyful for him) am looking at a 07 D/cab Triton petrol 2wd.back to the utes.YESSSS! ;)

dodoman, May 21, 2:37pm
Used to drive a 09 Mitsubishi L300, piece of poop with a full load.
Drove and Hiace, and Oh my, so much better.
Feel like a king when driving the new hiaces. Awesome Van for work.

stevo2, May 21, 6:27pm
My last van was a 96 diesel Hiace 2.8lt, needed only one repair,a new seat belt at 160,000km. Sold it at 181,000km.
My new van is a 2005 Hiace diesel 2.5lt turbo. 121,000km so far and no repairs at all.

kazbanz, May 21, 8:50pm
Op -as asked --what are you going to use the van for!
theres so many variations on the "van" themefrom lil suzuki 1300cc thingees right on up to vans that are borderline trucks.
Even in say the 89 Hiace I can think of 6 variations on the theme

timmo1, May 21, 10:38pm

compchick, May 22, 6:11am
We run the Hyundai iMax vans at work.http://www.hyundai.co.nz/new-cars/iload-and-imax/ So far we've found them quite decent for carting around the troopies comfortable (seats 8), reasonably grunty (2.5lt) comes with a good factory sound system (bluetooth, handsfree etc).We used to have late model Merc Vito 111 vans, they were utterly tragic, I can't remember how many times they were at the mechanics for all the faults, steering was sloppy, so slow, interior left a lot to be desired.Before the Vitos we had early 2000s model Hiaces, basic but solid work horses.

desmodave, May 22, 6:55am
I thought every Harley owner had a ute already thats why ya have to pay a premium

scoobeey, May 23, 3:59am
181km!would have just been run in :)

stevo2, May 23, 7:06am
Yep, true. My workmates have these things between 5 and 600,000km and still going strong.
This one will be sold before it hits 200 clicks as well.
I dont keep cars/vans forever.I like buying vehicles ( and tools)