86 Suzuki SJ series engine swap

8_2_much, May 20, 10:01am
Does anyone have any idea what sort of engine would be good to put into a 86 suzuki sj series truck. I want to keep it 4wd but the engine thats in it now is poked so am looking at an engine transplant but doing it on a budget. Any help and info would be appreciated.

mugenb20b, May 20, 10:09am
x1
A common conversion is a Vitara engine (which is what I'd go for) if you are on a budget or a 4K or 5K Toyota engine (F knows why) and I've seen Datsun motors with SU carbs as well.

There's a guy in Wellington I know of and he's using a GA15 Nissan Sentra motor with a BMW Mini supercharger kit attached to it. This is a common conversion in USA I believe. That set up works extremely well.

cowlover, May 20, 10:37am
I know of one that had a nissan diesel fited to it.Goes even slower now.It used to be common back in the 80s to pu toyota mtrs in them.Think they fitted somewhat easy.

zooki007, May 21, 6:42am
Either a Vitara 8 valve or a 16 valve engine. Kits available here on Trade Me, just do a search for Vitara in car parts.
Other than that I've fitted a Mitsy 2L into a SJ, 4age's into a few, a Holden V6 into a SJ, and a Rover V8 into a SJ as well.
Will all depend on how much you want to spend. Easiest and cheapest of them all is the Vitara engine swap.

woody1946, May 21, 7:30am
They go well with a Datsun 1600

redtidetrade, May 23, 6:10am
sr20de to vitara gearbox plates arenow available in aucklandbeing a timing chain motor and having lots of aftermarket options the adapter plate seems to bea good option . i have a na sr20 that is fitted ina 1991 tdo1 chasi
i use the car specific to the beach fishing! and man it will get you around without deflating your tyres