98 suby outback, oil in radiator

egor3, Jul 2, 9:05am
Just wondering if anyone can point us in the right direction. Thinking head gasket! I noticed the temp went up 3/4 to High while idling and it went back down to normal when I went straight up to the house (I'd just returned from town and was locking a gate) it hasn't done it again, but I have noticed black goo in the holding tank. It still drives fine, but worried about this gunk. Thanks in advance :)

franc123, Jul 2, 11:15am
Doesn't sound good, very likely head gasket(s) on the way out.Theres no possibility that the trans oil cooler might be leaking!This normally looks more like strawberry milkshake instead of black goo though.

johnf_456, Jul 2, 10:43pm
Very good advice andy_563 for 4am in the morning, couldn't word it better at that time.

egor3, Jul 3, 12:47am
Hey guys, this is great, thank you for that. I said to hubby I'm NOT driving it :) He usually does the "everything"on the vehicles, I'm the helper :). This might be a bit big for him. There's no water in the oil, it's still the right colour. Just noticed yesterday a thick black goo in the holding tank, refused to take it to town :) It stays put.

egor3, Jul 3, 10:35am
thanks andy_563:)I'm hoping hubby will say he'll do it, and it will be a bigger job than shocks, ball joints etc, but it's a time thing, he talked about having to drop the motor ! So might be looking at the garage to do this job. I'm hoping it hasn't done any damage, it still drove fine, but on checking the water I wasn't happy with the gunk and knew it wasn't right, so crossing fingers.

egor3, Aug 29, 5:40pm
Thanks andy_563, hubby said thank you too :). He has a manual and could do the job but with everything elseon our plates, it's a time thing and no we won't sell the car, better the devil you know sometime :) and we know what work has been done on this one. I know it will cost to take it in. :(