Help buying a car for towing

Page 1 / 2
matt5209, Jun 2, 7:54pm
Hi all,

I need to get a new car that I can occasionally tow the boat with.Max weight will be around 1500kg or so.

Im well aware that a Prado/Falcon/Ute would be best but want something a bit smaller.

Is anyone towing with front wheel drive!Does that work ok!I only use ramps, nothing off the beach.

Any help on alternatives to a large SUV or Falcon type greatly appreciated.

Cheers

grangies, Jun 2, 8:01pm
How much $$ are you wanting to spend on the vehicle!

stevo2, Jun 2, 8:02pm
Although your Falcon/ Commy would be better, you should be able to use a large FWD like a Camry Maxima etc but if you are travelling long distances or using it every weekend I would go bigger.
The key is you need a heavy tow vehicle so the weight of the trailer doesnt push you around.

whqqsh, Jun 2, 8:08pm
I used to tow my tunnel hull race boat (& domestic trailer with some biggish loads) with my MR2, 2 litre, rear wheel drive & never had a problem. I know its only a 2 seater & probably doesnt suit your needs but gives you an idea of size etc.

00basil00, Jun 2, 10:13pm
Most mid size cars will easily handle 1500kg

unbeatabull, Jun 2, 11:17pm
As mentioned, a Camry, Maxima, Mondeo etc would all fit into your mid size range. Depends on how much you want to spend really.

matt5209, Jun 3, 11:53am
Should have said, looking at up to 30k.

Its just occasional towing, mainly in summer really.I have been leaning towards an Aurion, just a bit nervous about the front wheel drive.

bwg11, Jun 3, 10:29pm
For Aurion money you would buy a late model, low km XR6 with rear wheel drive, or if you are into Toyota (in my opinion wisely) how about a Highlander!

matt5209, Jun 4, 12:48am
Highlander would be great, though starting to get too big and definitely not within budget for anything with reasonable kms and not too old.

Anyone have practical experience of front wheel drive cars towing!

ralphdog1, Jun 4, 12:51am
First time you end up on a slippery ramp that is a bit steep you will be wishing that you had bought a RWD.

johnf_456, Jun 4, 12:55am
Not always has on some ramps fwd have the advantage of taking off on the dry part of the ramp. Since the drive wheels are on the front.

zirconium, Jun 4, 1:02am
Mondeo not good for going uphill on gravel for towing. MUCH lighter load - ~500kg - and we couldn't get out our driveway, and almost got embedded on the very dry and freshly gravelled Tawharanui road, following an idiot ina large 4wd who couldn't drive, and kept stopping every time anyone came towards him. (2L manual front wheel drive wagon). Don't go that route. Unless you have lots of frieneds with big 4WD's who can rescue you all the time.

icemans1, Jun 4, 1:07am
front wheel drive on slippery boat ramp - good luck

don1751, Jun 4, 3:44am
Main thing to watch is weight on towbar with front wheel drive. Not too much!

chris.f, Jun 4, 6:07am
I don't know much about the Landrover/Range Rover range myself but are these are bad as everyone says! 3500kg tow rating for a sub $10K vehicle. 2.5L diesels cheaper to run but doesn't seem a big engine for such a large tow rating!

countrypete, Jun 4, 9:50am
I tow my boat with a 3dr Grand Vitara auto.It's a 2.4 litre 4cyl, and is quite small physically, easy handling.The boat is a 5.8metre glass boat and weighs around 1900kgs all up - way more than the recommended towing weight, but then you'll find an Aurion will have a towing recommendation of less than 1500kg braked anyway.

icemans1, Jun 4, 2:07pm
all very well being able to pull ya boat, but can you stop in a hurry!

countrypete, Jun 4, 7:37pm
Rule of thumb is to tow no more than the weight of your towing vehicle.Yes the Vitara weighs less than 1900kgs, so as I said it's outside recommendations.OP stated that he / she needs to tow occasionally.If it's only down to the ramp (as mine mostly is) it's no biggie. I've never had the ABS kickin.

matt5209, Jun 4, 8:23pm
Thats interesting countrypete, I had been thinking about a Gand Vitara, think you can get it with a 3l.You've found yours to go ok!

Also tempted by a RAV4, anyone towed with one!

sr2, Jun 4, 9:00pm
I tow my boat with a front wheel drive van; it's great on the boat ramp because the driven wheels don't end up in the water. On our local ramp many of the guys towing with 4 wheel drives have to have 4wd engaged so the front wheels can haul them out!

tazcsv, Jun 4, 10:12pm
Have you looked at a subaru! AWD great to drive, turbo or non turbo would do the job easy. Iv towed my jetboat with my legacy a few times no worries. For upto $30k you would get something very nice.

matt5209, Jun 4, 10:30pm
Subarus seem to be a bit pricey for what you get.The new shape Outbacks look good but are pretty expensive.

tazcsv, Jun 4, 11:19pm
I find it very hard to believe that a fwd will tow a boat out better than a rwd.
For my experiance it makes no difference if your wheels are in the water with a rwd.

johnf_456, Jun 4, 11:22pm
The local boat ramp I use is a prime example of this, if my car was RWD the back wheels would be on the water. But because its FWD it gives grip on the dry my boat is not a large boat but it does help. The boat ramp sr2 and I use is a good example of this. Modern FWD are also a lot better than what they once were, some people I know even tow trailers in FWD vans on gravel roads.

slarty45, Jun 4, 11:34pm
I have the 5spd manual 3dr version and find the low ratio bluddy good for launching and retrieving boat. No worries with brakes but my alloy boat weighs 70% of car.