Help buying a car for towing

Page 2 / 2
countrypete, Jun 4, 11:43pm
That may be true if you launch at high tide, and have a dry, non-slippery surface under your wheels.But the reality is that if you launch at any other time, your driving wheels (whether FWD or RWD) are usually on a slimy, slipper surface.In that situation, RWD is a far better bet, or 4WD obviously better.

The later model Vitara does come in a 3.2 litre V6 option, but I understand they are very thirsty.The 2.4l 4-pot does the job well, and has better economy, although being shaped like a brick, and full-time 4wd doesn't add up to being light on fuel.

slarty45, Jun 4, 11:44pm
yeah me too, but years ago saw a 4wd subaru not able to pull a boat on trailer that had wheels off edge of ramp, dead low tide. (mangawhai heads)
local went to assist, subaru unhitched from trailer and local hooked up his Austin 1800 land crab, not logical I know but pulled it out.

phantomjock, Jun 4, 11:55pm
we tow with our yr 2000 Honda Stationwagon which is 2.3vtec and has tiptronic, our boat is a haines 550c, we towed the boat home from Rangiora(sp) and no trouble with it at all and no worries about skidding when taking the boat out of the water either.

tazcsv, Jun 5, 12:00am
You must always get there 1st if the ramp is dry.

gmphil, Jun 5, 12:56am
Rwd sein heap people even at half moon needing get towed out of hole in ul get abused on busy days

bwg11, Jun 5, 2:02am
Years back I towed a Plylite Fisherman (probably around 750kg) with a RWD Corona which was satisfactory. Traded up to FWD "Amon" Corona which was hopeless. Bought a 4WD Hilux for my business and problem solved. By hopeless I mean traction on wet steep ramps and straight line stability on the road.

amberjandal, Jun 5, 2:11am
You say you dont wany anything too big so would go Aurion over Falcon , they are both much the same size , power and fuel economy. Just get a falcon.

wild-at-heart, Jun 5, 3:19am
Prado or surf, if you want to be super safe buy a patrol

matt5209, Jun 5, 3:52am
Aurion is about as big as I want to go.Ive driven that plus Falcons and Commodores and the Toyota used less gas and was easier to park as it had front and rear sensors which the others only have on newer or more expensive models.

Prado etc is just too big!

tazcsv, Jun 5, 4:01am
Dont be one of these idiots that tows a desent weight with a small car that really cant handle it ,buy a vehical that is designed for towing if you want to tow. Just remember its not just the towing you want it to do but it needs to be able to stop in a hurry and not get pushed off the road that counts to.

matt5209, Jun 5, 4:21am
Thanks for the abuse tazcsv.Well aware of how to tow and the various issues involved, hence Im asking for experiences others have had with various vehicles.

Im not talking about getting a fiat panda, Im talking about anything other than the standard reply of Falcon or Prado.My boat doesnt need something that size to tow or stop it.

Glad to hear that some on here manage ok with a front wheel drive, think that is the way Ill end up going.

tazcsv, Jun 5, 4:27am
Abuse! Im not calling you an idiot at all im just saying i see muppets all the time with small/medium fwds that have no place being on the roads with boats/trailers ect on them. Good Luck.

jenny188, Jun 5, 4:35am
have a 2.5 Vitara and a 15 foot fiberglass with 90 horses, weight about a ton plus all the gear. Tows well up to 120 (did I say that) but being short wheelbase you can't let it start to fish-tail. Stopping is a bit slower than 1 would hope. My Holden pulls and rides better and stopping is better also. However I would /do tow with either. Both early 2000's and around $10 k in cost