Ford BF XR6 or FG XT ?

kwaka5, Jun 14, 2:13am
I bought the fairmont ghia BF instead of the FG XT. Same sort of reasons. With the fairmont you get all the stuff and power of the XR6 but also some of the better audio,seats etc. Have a look at one of those too. I paid $17k for mine. 2007 with leather,body kit etc.

kwaka5, Jun 14, 2:14am
also got it from champion motors. They were very easy and honest to deal with. I'm in Taihape and bought it sight unseen apart from the pics on here and dealing with the salesman. They were most helpful.

nave12, Jun 14, 3:06am
Damm thats a nice looking fairmont and the price is good to.

yogibearz, Jun 14, 3:13am
Go for the XR6. Have had a BF which we traded when it had done 150000km. Was only traded because of the mileage and has been replaced with and FG XR6. Both great cars,FG is obviously a step up but you do pay accordingly. I wouldnt hesitate in owning another BF. They do big miles with little concerns. The 6 speed auto gives good fuel economy if you drive it sensibly.

monaro17, Jun 14, 3:40am
The fg has slightly more power and torque but the bf will deliver the performance better. This is because the bf xr6 has the phenomenal German 6 speed trans- the fg xt has the 5 speed. Both are good units but the 6 speed is the superior unit. In saying this the xr6 will ride more 'harshly' than the xt. It depends whether you are after comfort or sport characteristics

ntalke, Jun 14, 4:19am
That BF Ghia would be the go,I would check to see if the transmission has been correctly flushed at the allotted k's and the price is pretty sharp

Have a BF XR6 Turbo but with the Ghia you get all the luxurycomforts

Have to remember the XR6 is based on the Futura unless you find one with the Luxury Pack

kwaka5, Jun 14, 4:42am
The auto is a sealed for life unit, or so i was told by ford. Very different from the old 4 speed unit. Very smooth changes and good fuel economy on the open road. Good around town as long as you not a lead foot.

thunderbolt, Jun 14, 4:48am
My FG XR6 ZF 6 speed auto was seviced at the recommended 90km, cost is approx $500!

smac, Jun 14, 8:26am
Some of the comments above seem to indicate people think the XR has some things that they don't. I really wouldn't see why a BF XR would automatically deliver the power better than an FG XT, that just doesn't make sense. There are 4 speed and 6 speeds in both models. Need to compare apples with apples.

monaro17, Jun 14, 8:42am
More gear ratios makes for easier delivery of the power of the engine. For example when overtaking the engine can choose a more appropriate gear to change down into hence the acceleration is better and therefore the performance is better.

monaro17, Jun 14, 8:43am
And also there are no 4 speed units in the fg range only 5 and 6

xs1100, Jun 14, 9:18am
get the bf fairmont and dress it up like a gt easy enough,know of a chap in rotorua brought a ba fairmont changed the lights and suspension to a xr6 and put a typhoon kit on got the best of everything

gman35, Jun 14, 10:04am
As much as I do prefer the Falc's over Comm's as far as Aussie stuff goes , I would not exactly call what would still be a usually very averagely built (finish,quality) sedan , the "best of everything" . For similar $ I would buy a slightly older , and faster , but still more luxurious , and better built,designed BMW 540 or similar.

smac, Jun 14, 8:23pm
Slightly older! For the same money, you're saying a 2001 car over a 2008!

gman35, Jun 14, 9:14pm
Admittedly I have only just now looked at some Falc's on here for an idea of current prices and wow , it's depreciation central it appears ! But that probably also explains partly what I am trying to say , I don't think many Ford or Holden owners actually try anything else , yet do not realise how much their "late model" car is actually costing them in depreciation , and "just-out-of-warranty niggly issues" that we hear so much about.

smac, Jun 14, 9:30pm
Compared to what though! I haven't done the actual numbers but after a quick glance it seems the euro stuff of similar size gets hit just as hard if not harder!Dunno, don't care really either. When I buy a car I tend to run them into the ground (i.e. get my moneys worth).

Actually I'm not sure who does care! If you keep the care for ages, depreciation doesn't mean much. If you feel the need to buy and sell every couple of years I'd argue you're not doing so for financial reasons, so you shouldn't care either.

nave12, Jun 14, 10:17pm
Yeah i use to see that car around here and it looked bloody good the way it was done,think i use to see it down view road.

chris_051, Jun 15, 12:35am
the dedicated LPG ones had the old 4 speeds.

chris_051, Jun 15, 12:44am
I would like to see the cost of running a new BMW 5 series or E class as a taxi for 7 years or about 500,000km compared to a Falcon. Including depreciation. The Falcon will kill them for everything (unless you get the warm and fuzzies over the fact the BMW cost 3 times as much and the doors close with a more solid sound!). A Falcon or commodore is a car you'll own for 10 plus years with basic R&M and if it does shit itself parts are cheap and easy to work on, good luck doing the same to an E60 5 series or E class which will nearly always need dealer servicing and diagnosis.

yogibearz, Jun 15, 3:48am
That sums it up as far as Im concerned. Agree whole heartedly.

jason18, Jun 15, 4:07am
What about "late model" bmw depreciation. Thats also HUGE!

wasser61, Jun 15, 4:45am
Wouldn't touch a 540 that is not under warranty for all the money in China.