1988 toyota corolla Running rich with misfire?

rbjz, Jun 11, 10:39am
engine is 1300 2e. the other day my water pump packed out, leaked all the water and overheated on way home, (just got into hot as pulled into driveway) . anyway replaced water pump now, doesnt use a drop of water, but now power drops off about 4000rpm even in nutral no load wont rev higher sometimes, and it will just start to misfire on what sounds like a few cylinders, then after 10-20 minutes driving sometimes it will get all its power and rev range back but start to miss at idle, stutter and stall. also little black smoke and strong smell of unburnt fuel now. only got 100km to $40 today. so im thinking carburetor might be damaged if that's possible from over heating!after some opinions! have changed leads and plugs. cheerz

cassandra13, Jun 11, 10:43am
sounds like you got water in the cylinders. possible the head went!

rbjz, Jun 11, 10:46am
no use of water at all! not from radiator or overflow so i wouldnt think head gasket!

jmma, Jun 11, 11:05am
Moisture in dizzy cap !

lusty9, Jun 11, 11:45am
what about distributor and carby!

jmma, Jun 11, 11:48am
What about it !

spottie, Jun 11, 11:54am
If it has the slide carb it will be thechoke compensator . It's a common fault. Will have to replace the unit or change the carb. A twin barrel Weber fits on with an adapter plate, will give you way better top end but won't be quite as economical.

kcf, Jun 11, 8:28pm
Yup 2E carbs are notoriously finicky.Sometimes though, on a car worth that little, it's worth the gamble of just chucking another second hard carb at it, in the hope that the one you throw at it is better than the one on the car.

rbjz, Jun 11, 9:27pm
the carb looks stupid, has like a big slide piston before the butterflys! if its the choke am i able to remove it! i dont mind sitting in her for a few minutes feeding her a little to warm her up every morning

modie61, Jun 11, 10:36pm
I like that one,a stupid looking carb,haha.
Its a Toyota mate,they go forever. Lol.

fordcrzy, Jun 12, 6:57am
i bet its that stupid carb too. we had one with that stupid carb setup and it was a pain. look at picking up a "normal" carb from a starlet instead. it ran rich and died at the lights all the time.
i even did a cambelt change on the side of the road after it snapped! haha.