Nissan serena fuel gauge adjustment

kandjaja, Jun 10, 12:13am
Is there a way that the fuel gauge can be adjusted! Currently, when the needle hits 'E'and the light comes on, I can get around 100kms before it runs out. Cheers

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 10, 12:32am
Congratulations on finding some pointless busy work to occupy your time.

mugenb20b, Jun 10, 1:51am
What exactly do you want to achieve! Or, should I say, what's the problem with the way it is! Although, this sounds like a piss take TBH.

supernova2, Jun 10, 1:54am
Just disconnect the wires at the tank and the guage will always show empty and no light then you wont have to worry ever again.

kandjaja, Jun 10, 1:58am
And congratulations to you for providing the first banal, no use comment. Dipshit.

Its not a piss take. The gauge currently reads in such a way that, when at E, there is still around 12 litres of fuel in the tank. This seems a lot (it may not be, I'm not sure) Because of this, the gauge drops like a stone from circa half full.

mugenb20b, Jun 10, 2:03am
OK, you are kind of right. Most manufacturers have 10L or so left in the tank when the light comes on. Most fuel gauges behave the way you described, and to my knowledge they aren't adjustable. In fact, you can't rely on where the needle is pointing. I use a trip meter and I know I can get 500ks out of a tank, so I refill mine when I cover 200 to 350kms.

kandjaja, Jun 10, 2:30am
and there's another one.

kandjaja, Jun 10, 2:31am
Thank you. That is all I needed to know.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 10, 3:42am
So what! You know it has 100km remaining. I know when my gauge reads ½ full it's actually 1/3rd. It sits on full without moving for at least for the first 100 km. The low fuel light starts coming on around 80km to empty.

What's the problem with this!

kandjaja, Jun 10, 3:46am
I rest my case. Nothing new or usefull to add then!.

jmma, Jun 10, 4:00am
Put a big dent in the tank, then it will run out of petrol earlier, that will sort it (o:

kazbanz, Jun 10, 4:11am
kandjaja-how old is the serena!
Now understand I am NOT taking the P outa ya here.
Go take the lid off of you toilet cistern. Flush the loo -watch what happens inside the cistern. That is basicly how your fuel level sender unit works. You have a float and as it rises and falls it tells the fuel gauge how much gas is in the tank.
The trouble I have is I dont know your level of mechanical competence.
Because of that Im reluctant to give step by step instructions on how to adjust the float

kandjaja, Jun 10, 4:39am
Why not! Everyone else bar mugenb is taking the piss!
Its a 97, the first of the facelift models. As far as mechanical knowledge- Idsay I know the basics and know my limits

kazbanz, Jun 10, 5:28am
kandjajagood onya for being honest.
I'm sorry but Im not comfortable doing a step by step for you in this case
Short version though is check the indicated fuel level-open up the top of the fuel tank -pull the sender unitBend the end of rod where the float is so the the float sits15mm higher -put it back in the tank-check the fuel level.I'd still leave a bit in reserve

kandjaja, Jun 10, 6:20am
I figured it would be either what you have described, or perhaps some sort of adjust screw on the back of the instrument cluster.
Thanks for your input.( and for not 'removing the liquid')

aredwood, Jun 10, 9:21am
The way your fuel gauge behaves is due to the shape of the tank. Imagine your fuel tank is the same shape as a cocktail glass. You would only need a small amount of fuel to fill it 1/2 full but a much larger amount to fill it from 1/2 to completely full. The same thing applies to the tank in your car. Im sure you have already noticed that you don't need to add much fuel to fill your car from empty to 1/2 according to the gauge. Yet much more to fill from 1/2 to full. This effect generally shows up more in rear drive and 4wd cars due to the hump in the tank that gives clearance for the drive shaft.