Economy, Falcon /Holden, versus 2.2 camry

Page 2 / 2
r15, Jun 8, 8:38pm
sources please!

30% is a LOT of power

zak1998, Jun 8, 8:42pm
Small engines on big cars don't save fuel as the engine must work harder than the bigger V6 models

martin11, Jun 8, 8:43pm
I regulary get 10.0 and under in a 2.5 gts Skyline depend on how it is maintained and driven

jkm, Jun 8, 9:07pm
is it really worth the worry! If you are looking at $4000 to $5000 you are not looking at the latest fuel efficient vehicles.
If you travel say 10,000km per year and get a vehicle that does 8L/100km as oppossed to 10L/100km you will save 200 l. 200 X $2.10 = $410.00 / year.
If the vehicle you have is reliable and comfortable might as well stick with what you have as oppossed to buying an unkown reliability factor.

smac, Jun 8, 9:30pm
My questions stand. If you've ever driven one of those auto 2.2 camry's, or the equivalent modeo you'll know why.

reggienz, Jun 8, 9:37pm
Yes, I have to agree with you there, Ive owned a couple of early 90's coronas and loved them. Even the petrol version was pretty economical.

reggienz, Jun 8, 9:42pm
Yes, What youy say is quite right, My car is reliable and comfortable, plus a lot of my driving is open road, either 50 K's or 400K's at a run, depending on where Im going. Stll havent cracked 9 litres/100 Km tho.

msigg, Jun 8, 10:33pm
jkm is the one that seems to understand the most here. all these figures touted by some are stupid. The one that talks the most is the one not to listen to as they have an agenda.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 8, 11:54pm
Not meaning to be rude but this is a bit like asking for a source for whether wheels are round.

30% IS a LOT of efficiency to lose, that's why all those old technology 4 speed slush box powered cars are so thirsty, especially around town. People like to deny this because car dealers love to sell 4 speed auto imports but they are what they are.

By all means have a google on the subject. Just remember we are talking about efficiency loss in urban conditions, with just 4 gears and constant starting and stopping and no chance for the converter to lock up. Loss to torque converters at cruise is considerably less, even if unlocked.

paul861, Jun 9, 7:03am
we have just got home from driving a 2000 2.2 camry auto(213000km on it)from chch to auckland via westport,nelson etc. 140 litres for 1800km. our 05 xr6 wont come close to the economy

smac, Jun 9, 7:37am
I personally think those figures are a little.off.

msigg, Jun 9, 8:50am
Yea thast good paul861 nice running, nice drive.