Toyota Camry or Ford Falcon

Page 1 / 4
pcguitarist, Sep 20, 2:34am
I asked you guys a short time ago about Falcon vs. Mondeo for my needs and have now changed my mind a bit. Looking at a 06 Falcon xr6 bf 43k's 4.0l. Or a 07 Camry 31k's 2.4l at a very similar price. My driving is 80% open-road as was a bit scared of the fuel costs for the Falcon, however when test driving I was getting an average of 8L/100km! It sits at around 1700-1800rpm at 100k's which is due to the 6-speed. (camry had 5-speed) Which car would give me better fuel economy at 100k's! Haven't taken the camry for a drive yet.your thoughts!

bellky, Sep 20, 2:36am
just get the falcon and you won't look like a dork with a camry

gusthe1, Sep 20, 2:53am
Thats obvious. You will look like a dork with a Falcon. Whats your point!

bellky, Sep 20, 2:58am
lol what's yours! falcons are staunch

1ollie, Sep 20, 2:59am
hahaha that made me laugh!

crzyhrse, Sep 20, 3:00am
That Camry will hold its value better. But if you ever need to tow something you'll appreciate the Falcon. Personally, I'd get a Fairmont though.

bellky, Sep 20, 3:02am
not in the long term.

bellky, Sep 20, 3:09am
got to be one of the uglier cars around tho!

richardmayes, Sep 20, 3:14am
Definitely the Falcon for highway work. They're both big cars, and in a big car a big lazy six cylinder engine is a lot nicer than a little 4 cylinder that isn't really grunty enough for the job and has to hunt gears and rev every time you want need a bit of power.

If you drive steadily and sensibly like a grown-up, fuel consumption will be more or less in proportion to the size of the car - i.e. not much in it between them.

If you drive with a lead foot and you like to cane it constantly, fuel consumption will be more in proportion to the size of the engine.

(Disclaimer: I've driven the XR6, never the Camry, but I've driven the Toyota Aurion which is basically a deluxe V6 Camry. I'd still have a Falcon even over one of those!)

thejazzpianoma, Sep 20, 3:14am
They actually look very nice. The plonker who took the photo's in that link has taken them all with the zoom out really wide so it looks all fish bowly and awful. Here is a better pic thats in proportion.
http://www.autospectator.com/cars/files/images/DB2007AU02304_small.jpg

bellky, Sep 20, 3:20am
doesn't appeal to me at all (no offence)

thejazzpianoma, Sep 20, 3:25am
I agree that applies to the Camry, but the 2.0T Passat is very relaxed especially with the DSG transmission. There is no hunting or mucking around, just 200HP of surprisingly relaxed power. It really is the best of both worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=0JO620MhQWc&feature=related
(Speedo in MPH)

thejazzpianoma, Sep 20, 3:25am
None taken, each to their own. I do suggest you drive one though, it might change your mind!

richard198, Sep 20, 3:35am
Just appalling lack of reliability! A stretched VW golf.
Do you really want front wheel drive! Get the Skoda Superb; the Czechs make a much better job of building the Passat and also have lengthened the design to give more luxury on top of much better reliability!

grangies, Sep 20, 3:43am
For under $20,000 !

delboy71, Sep 20, 3:44am
I've just looked at both as well as the commodore - I'm now driving the xr6, it beat the pants off the other 2. Not too bad on fuel around town either.

kwaka5, Sep 20, 3:48am
I got the 07 fairmont ghia,126k's on the clock, for 17k. Not a bad car, nice to drive, fairly good on the juice on the open road and more than enough grunt. Leather upholstery, all the wistles and bells. She's a good deal compared to alot of other cars i looked at.

bellky, Sep 20, 3:49am
yes '04/'05

bellky, Sep 20, 3:49am
sounds like a nice car

moosie_21, Sep 20, 3:52am
Although I'd normally say Toyota, go the Falcon. Camry's are boring, and a Sportivo still wouldn't be able to match a Falcon performance wise.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 20, 3:57am
I am yet to have any trouble with a FSI engined VW but appreciate I am a very small sample group.
I agree though that there is no harm in getting the Skoda product. Its all the same great super efficient mechanical's and I remember Skoda got some big "most reliable car on the market" award around the time these vehicles were built too.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 20, 3:59am
There are less Skoda's around too so what you see this week can be quite different to next. I have seen some very well priced Skoda's come and go so with some patience you may well achieve something that is as well priced as the VW I linked to or better.

fordcrzy, Sep 20, 4:06am
the 6 speed falcon is ging to be waaaaaay better than a camry gearbox.even the sportivo model

don_logan, Sep 20, 4:08am
Both nice cars. I'm now a falcon man, but have always been a toyota man and the toyota reliablilty is not a myth. The falcon may have some ownership idioscyncrasys you get with the aussy car industry. Where the toyota will just do its job largely un notticed, many call is boring. I have been told from someone who used to drve that model camry they are very economical on petrol for size of car.

ntalke, Sep 20, 4:24am
Have a BF Turbo,nearly 4 years with no trip computer reset, 10.8 L/100k

Go for a BF Fairmont/Ghia,all the Luxury bits that will be usually missing on the XR6 if it has not got the Luxury Pack