VN V8 Calais problem

mother-goose, Jul 13, 8:57am
We have a vn v8 calais that over revs, when driving it only really gets as far as second gear maybe third then the revs go right up and the car loses power, It idles fine and you can rev it fine in park but once you drive it, it loses power though it is fine when you first take off, any ideas what it is!

m16d, Jul 13, 9:07am
Yer auto could be buggered. but some morepeople that know more than me will be here shortly.

panicky, Jul 13, 9:09am
If you cane it does it happen quicker!

mother-goose, Jul 13, 9:10am
Thanks was really hoping its not the auto

mother-goose, Jul 13, 9:12am
Hmm might have to try that and let you know what happens, pretty sure when you put your foot down harder it becomes gutless quicker haven't driven since the weekend when it happened.

panicky, Jul 13, 9:14am
I bought a car on here with a "blown trans", doing something similar to yours.When I dropped the trans pan, it was like it never had been changed was solid in the filter and once I cleaned it out and put some fresh fluid was good as gold (apart from a slight whining sound).

mother-goose, Jul 13, 9:20am
Yeah we did call a couple of trans places and they reckon the trans is stuffed that was without seeing the car though. We have only just bought this one as well and it was driven by the old owner a couple of weeks ago and was fine but aside from him taking it out once it has been parked up as he had a few cars. Wonder then if we should clean the trans out and see what happens. Our intention is to sell the car on either fixed up or if all else fails as is.

howz_that, Jul 13, 9:29am
Check the trans fluid level and colour.Check fluid level with car idling. Colour should be bright red

donz01, Jul 13, 9:53am
Check your air filter. Go for a short drive without yourair filter in place and see how it goes. I had a similar problem years ago and it was a pretty much totally blocked air filter.

budgel, Jul 13, 11:31pm
The revs are increasing which sounds like a trans problem.

gmphil, Jul 13, 11:35pm
Has bein noted to be probmatic with ecotecs with trans controls dont think mak much difference vn as they tv cable

But try op mite help

kehua, Jul 14, 12:03am
Damn. Sounds poked. I suppose you could twist my arm to buy it for $500.

mother-goose, Jul 14, 2:18am
Thanks everyone think we'll take the trans out and see if it can be fixed otherwise we'll just have to replace it.

supernova2, Jul 14, 9:55am
I suggest you get a trans guy to at least look at it before you start pulling thge trans out of ther car.

mother-goose, Jul 14, 11:48pm
We has a mechanic test drive it yesterday and he says its the torque converter.