Nissan 4wd Van. Disconnect front diff?

tristanchev, Jul 9, 6:39am
I got a E24 Nissan Caravan 4wd. The rear diff is on the way out. I have a lsd diff here from a nissan navara 2.4 petrol but im pretty sure the ratios are different. I never use the 4wd so would it matter if I disconnect the front driveshaft and just run as a 2wd or do I need to bite the bullet and source a diff from a 4wd caravan!

skin1235, Jul 9, 6:45am
you're stepping back quite a few in the ratio I'd imagine
and thats going to impact on your fuel bill
( am sure the nevara would be closer to 3000 rpm at 100 than the caravan would be - and that diff ratio alone the cause of the extra gas gobbling revs)

for something right outfield, why not drop the rear shaft and drive it with 4wd engaged as a fwd

ladatrouble, Jul 9, 6:50am
If it's selectable 4wd it will need a LVV.

tristanchev, Jul 9, 6:56am
Yeah its a push button 4wd. Bugger I guess the revs would be kinda high a. Just try find a 4wd diff I guess

rob_man, Jul 9, 7:05am
If you get the driveline code off the manufacturers tag a google search will soon tell you the ratio of your diff.

motorboy2011, Jul 9, 7:07am
my car had a faulty front diff (nissan stagea) so I pulled the front shaft out. according to the wof guy he COULD fail me though he didnt. He said according to his wof man book, the front shaft could be removed on a 4wd with a live axle only and still pass wof

supernova2, Jul 9, 8:55am
Any chance the front and rear diff heads are the same unit and you could just swop them around!

skin1235, Jul 9, 9:01am
lol, now that brings back memories

of 1 forward gear and 4 reverse speeds

unless the middle diff/transfer box spins opposites on each driveshaft you'd not only have swap front to back but also turn it upside down

unclejake, Jul 9, 9:30am
Why don't you swap the front diff head into the rear!. or is that not possible

EDIT: Oh, I see it has been suggested already. Sorry

unclejake, Jul 9, 9:33am
I had been under the impression that Hilux and Land Cruiser diffs were the same front and rear - am I completely wrong! (genuine question BTW)

skin1235, Jul 9, 9:44am
same between models UJ!, hilux has about 15 different ratios under the hilux brand, there's rev'ers and sloggers in all the models, and with the interchangeable tyres and rims one can become the other real quick
gets interesting when replacing one diffhead too, I think the LC diff will fit physically but getting the right ratio will be an issue

skin1235, Jul 9, 9:45am
the 1 forward and 4 reverses is due to the pinion being on the wrong side of the crownwheel, turns the axles opposite to what you really want

gadgit3, Jul 9, 7:52pm
Why not just throw the diff head you have in for now and leave the front drive shaft inplace! if it's push button 4WD then just dissconnect the button far easyer is it not!

tristanchev, Jul 9, 11:17pm
I thought the rear diff ratio had to correspond with the front or it would wreck the gearbox! I dont know much about 4wd vehicles just what ive been told which isnt much at all lol

unclejake, Jul 10, 5:03am
^ That is only the case if you have the vehicle in 4x4. If you have it in 2wd only you will do no harm.

Is it a LSD diff head that you have (rather than an intact housing)! If so then count the teeth on the crownwheel and pinion. That will give you the ratio of the 'new' diff. Then check for a tag on your old diff (they are usually impossible to read) or research the chassis plate for an answer on what ratio is currently in the vehilce.

unclejake, Jul 10, 5:11am
Nah mate. What I had been told is that you could take the front diff head out of a Hilux and put it in the back of a Hilux (and still have more than one forward speed).

I don't know what way their transfer cases spin so I have no idea if this is true or not.

rob_man, Jul 10, 7:30am
I believe that is the case, Landrovers were interchangeable because the diff heads were mounted in opposite directions but were the same. It doesn't work with Terranos though because the front diffs are a smaller size even though the ratios are the same.

skin1235, Jul 10, 8:06am
will check my old girl in the morning, should be able to visually note if it would be possible, I recall the pinion is central vertically so it may be a simple flip if the size is right,unless the transfer box does spin the shafts in opposite directions, which case it would be a simple drop it in, will check that too