Over-acceleration in normal driving

Page 1 / 3
gman35, Jul 6, 10:01pm
It seems to me that people accelerate much quicker from the lights etc (once they realise it is actually green , as poor reaction times are another matter) than they used to , I really have to row my admittedly not-quick 2002 2ltr Nissan van pretty vigorously to keep up with most traffic. Even Nana's in super mini's take off like a dragster , (before settling to the usual 45kph). Also it is very common to see the foot on throttle right up to the red light or corner , before then braking at last minute. So in today's age where petrol is not getting any cheaper , and "smoothness" is better on gas , obviously more comfortable and very easy with modern cars , is it because so many drive auto's now and don't feel the same sympathy is required re- gear changes etc !In our Mazda sp23 (which I do enjoy "enthusiast driving" in) in town I could easily get about 20% more mileage than my foot down/hard braking wife , to her the concept of smooth driving and looking ahead is just a non-event !

edangus, Jul 6, 10:11pm
Because we get sick of being stuck behind slow pokes, so we try to let as many others through the freakin pain in the butt short phased light changes

newtec1, Jul 6, 10:14pm
It can be traced back to the pace of life in general.Everyone thinks they must get from A---B as quick as possible,instead of just getting from A--B. I have seen it many times racing from the lights and braking hard at the next set,only to be caught by the traffic travelling at normal speed without the stress.The same goes for the open road, when cars travelling behind you think they need to floor it to pass you on the next passing lane up a hill incase they will be stuck behind you for the next 100 klms,only to find when they get to their destination they are only two cars in front of you.for what.!

gman35, Jul 6, 10:19pm
As I say , I think slow reactions are the biggest pain at lights , why does it take about 10sec before the "5th car back" starts moving ! with the high-mounted lights at most intersections now , we can all see the green , so why aren't we all going more or less at the same time !

hornnett, Jul 6, 10:19pm
My old grandad use to say if there was a que of car from here to the moon there will always be some idiot who will pull out to pass.
And to get passed when going to work defies belief,we are going to WORK who is that keen.

trader_84, Jul 6, 10:22pm
I purposely sit an aggravating couple of seconds too long when the light goes green whilst looking in the rear vision mirror for their reaction, lol. They can't see over the arse of my truck and its covered in mud, diesel blowby and dents. I have no rear bumber and if you hit me . you will go under the truck and into the spare and leaf springs and end up covered in cow poo. I have the powerhouse 2.8L so getting across the crossing in good time is a mission also, sometimes.

gman35, Jul 6, 10:27pm
You looking for a reaction , or are "aggravating" why !

trader_84, Jul 6, 10:29pm
No reason . because sometimes - I just feel like doing so.

sw20, Jul 6, 10:36pm
cool story bro

socram, Jul 6, 10:41pm
If people are concerned about fuel consumption, getting away from the lights slowly may be OK for them, (in fact, it is more fuel efficient to get away briskly and into a high gear as soon as possible) but it brasses off all those behind who sit there burning fuel for yet another light phase.

To answer the original poster, it is because many are driving autos these days.Even our diesel 4WD is extremely quick from rest.

gunhand, Jul 6, 10:44pm
Well I think waiting a few secs before taking off at a Green light sounds like a good idea, you still should look left and right before you do take off. You see theres these other people on the roads who like to run red lights in the hope of getting somewhere 30secs quicker.
Meanwhile.after all the drag racing between lights the cyclist beside you is still there lol.

rob_man, Jul 6, 10:48pm
Absolutely correct, the drivers who accelerate quickly and clear the intersection as fast as possible deserve a medal. I often find myself jammed up the jacksie of some impaired ignoramus while I attempt to make space for those behind me to get through on the same phase.

gunhand, Jul 6, 10:57pm
10, that many. None here. Its great.

trader_84, Jul 6, 10:58pm
Chur!

friendly_prawn, Jul 6, 11:06pm
fuel consumption is the last thing on my mind when Im driving.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 6, 11:19pm
Same here.

I applaud drivers who don't fanny about when the light goes green. Punch it, Chewie!

I detest those, especially at the front of the queue, who are in park, legs crossed, hands in lap, park brake on and day dreaming while gazing anywhere but at the lights who appear to be surprised by the inevitable light change to green. Inconsiderate oblivious muppets.

trader_84, Jul 6, 11:37pm
Yeah you detest those ones . but what about the ones that are staring at you from in front . smiling as your blood pressure starts to rise . breaking into light laughter as you begin to mutter things to yourself . then openly laughing at you as they clearly mouth the term 'F**k You' in tandem with the bird as they idle away. Haha! I suppose those ones don't endear themselves to you also!

gman35, Jul 6, 11:37pm
Yep , why you wouldn't be looking for the green light / and reaction times for those further back too are usually appalling.

gman35, Jul 6, 11:39pm
You sound like a real winner.

trader_84, Jul 6, 11:41pm
And you sound like a wannabe dragracer

friendly_prawn, Jul 6, 11:41pm
no, thats' me. thats me lol

trader_84, Jul 6, 11:41pm
Get an 8 Cylinder bro . and do it properly.

spead, Jul 7, 12:21am
normal driving does not require rapid acceleration

cuda.340, Jul 7, 12:30am
there's nothing like being on pole at the lights in my trusty turbo diesel with a Clubsport or XR8 in the lane next to me & the lights are green & i'm 1-2 car lengths ahead of them on pure reaction time. you can tell the owner operators once you're up to legal speed, they're the ones that race past you thinking they've won. AND yes, i am a dragracer. :-)

trader_84, Jul 7, 12:33am
I was waiting for you to jump in!