Mondeo wagon 2002 onwards

willz29, Jul 6, 1:00am
Do these have a timing chain or belt! Are they a good reliable car. I'm looking into manual transmission. Wanting a reliable family car.

sifty, Jul 6, 1:02am
They are pretty good by that stage. Manual's especially.
Not sure on the belt/chain thing but anything that has been maintained/srviced should give a decent car for not a lot of money.

(waits for the usual uninformed'Run Away' comments whenever Mondeos are mentioned)

mugenb20b, Jul 6, 1:38am
If it's the Mk 3 Mondeo, it will have a Duratec chain drive engine. Are they a good reliable car! In my experience, yes.

phillip.weston, Jul 6, 2:55am
chain. The best ones are manuals. Had a 2004 mondeo 2.0 wagon with nearly 400,000kms on the clock and it had to be one of the best cars I've owned.

willz29, Jul 6, 7:34am
Thanks guys, very keen on a 2002 model. I took it for a drive today, felt nice and tight, no squeaks. Good clutch, very tidy. Probably do the deal tomorrow.

phillip.weston, Jul 6, 8:04am
how much!

dbolton, Jul 6, 8:13am
2002 did have problems withbutterfly valves in the inlet manifold. If there is any chattering going on in therenegotiate the price and take itto someone who can remove them altogether. Many have done this with no adverse affects to running or emission problems. Good forum to check is Talkford forum out of the UK where there many of these on the road. I have one and it is a great car. Manual fuel consumption is under 8 litres 100k, comfortable and spacious and done 110000 ks

willz29, Jul 6, 8:14am
7K 145k kms

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 8:28am
Good car but the 2.0 in auto is completely and utterly ruined by the crappy automatic transmission. (This is not just my opinion but that of many).

However the 2.0 in manual is very good otherwise the V6 one is O.K in Auto.

So stick with your manual transmission, the good news is that because the Auto's were so awful I think there are more manual ones around which may help.

Keep an eye on value for money, I think they are great value in the 4k - 7k range in good condition with sensible km's.

However asyou march up around 10K there are other cars which are potentially a lot better, depending on what you are looking for.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 8:30am
Snap. you posted this while I was composing my message.
Assuming its an 02 or close to it thats plenty IMO in terms of how much car you are getting. That said if its a really nice example or one of the higher spec cars it might be O.K buying.

phillip.weston, Jul 7, 1:42am
$7k is too much for an 02 with 145k. You should be getting an 04-05 for that.

carclan, Jul 7, 1:58am
The best option is the MK3 2004 on, manual. Ours has 207,000 on the clock and has been a great car

willz29, Jul 7, 7:06am
On a TM search in Auckland, theres only four manual 2004 onwards listed. Of those only two cars under 10k, one has done 170+ the other over 200+

Perhaps there's just a drought of them in Auckland at present. Otherwise what I'm looking at appears reasonable.

fordcrzy, Jul 7, 8:17am
we sold our mint 02 manual wagon with 155K on it for 6500.THREE years ago! 7 k is too much

phillip.weston, Jul 8, 12:11am
I sold my 2004 2.0 manual wagon done 398,000kms for $3700 two years ago. I bought it for $2250.