Nissan td27

ajayzbabe, Jun 30, 3:25am
Just purchased a 95 Nissan mistral cheap, has suspected headgasket issue, does anyone know if they are prone to cracking heads! Or just gasket issues! I will be installing a brand New radiator, water pump etc

ozz1, Jun 30, 3:40am
heads. 90 %sorry

4piggy, Jun 30, 3:41am
normally just gasket fit a new genuine thermostat as some aftermarket ones dont flow enough, cooling system is on the limit on these and most will get hot towing big bore exhaust will help

mugenb20b, Jun 30, 4:00am
Of all Jap diesels out there, TD27 is one of the best 4 cylinder units ever made. However, they will crack heads if severly overheated. Either way, the head will need to come off, and replacement heads are cheap anyway. Also, replace the water pump which can be expensive ($180 to $350!), but they do come with a viscous hub.and there are 7 different options.

ajayzbabe, Jun 30, 4:46am
Thanks for the advice, it's still running reasonably well, but I want to get onto it, before it costs me an engine

philltauranga, Jun 30, 8:43am
Just done my Terrano, it was the head and was severley cracked around the valves, easy to replace tho. Mine split the small water hose that returns water from the turbo, and overheated it, its well hidden under all the turbo mounting brackets I would replace that hose while the heads off, otherwise bit of a pain to get to. Or just pour in a bottle of "chemiweld" in hindsight I should of just done that, as mines just a farm wagon that has a w.o.f for occasional road use.

ajayzbabe, Jun 30, 11:27am
I'd do the chemiweld thing, but as its for the family I can't have it stranding us miles from home, I'l take the advice tho & replace any suspect hose while it's apart

ajayzbabe, Jul 3, 10:21am
Has a very fine foam in the radiator, almost like the head on a beer, I assume it's from a blown gasket mixing with the antifreeze, unless transcooler has split & is mixing!

ralphdog1, Jul 3, 10:37am
Time for a TK test!

bubbles244, Jul 4, 3:24am
on a cold morning before you start it take the radiator cap off and see what colour the oil on the surface is. fine foam is more likley the trans cooler as apposed to mayonaise from engine oil and coolant