Girl question! Distilled water for batteries

Page 2 / 3
lyonruge, Jun 27, 11:32pm
Cats and dogs.

tigra, Jun 27, 11:48pm
Who can quote stats about how long batteries filled with tap waterlast compared with distilled water!Guess it may depend on where you live for the tap water. I've just replaced2 batteries that were 8 and 10 years old respectively and I've only ever used tap water.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 27, 11:57pm
They're not going to last as long under the exact same conditions if you fill them with sediment laden creek water, for which they're not designed, instead of clean deionised water. That's a given. The 'statistics' are irrelevant.

pauldw, Jun 28, 12:31am
It would depend on your trust of the source. I would take packaged distilled water like Pure Dew before water from a random deionizing unit.

trader_84, Jun 28, 1:07am
Is it true jafa's have to pay for their water!

gmphil, Jun 28, 1:15am
Put innox battery conditioner in at same time or go see local battery place asked them to top up and keep them charged if u want them to last

desmodave, Jun 28, 1:30am
How about the waste water from a dehumidifier thats what an old boss of mine told me to use years ago.

msigg, Jun 28, 3:02am
Yea tigra you are correct, unless you can compare like for like then to many variations. Most of mine last 5-6 years depending on use. Now alot of batteries are sealedanyway.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 28, 3:38am
That's filthy, just like rain water. It falls from the evaporator coils, which are usually dirty.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 28, 3:39am
Filtration improves the dirtier the filter gets.

morrisman1, Jun 28, 4:01am
Nah, it was directed at the drinking water comment.

pauldw, Jun 28, 4:09am
Maybe but deionising depends on the life left in the resin. Eventually it won't remove mineral salts and needs to be cleaned itself. The water coming out could be the same as you're putting in.

40 odd years ago the Post Office had a deioniser for their Wellington exchange batteries. When the resin needed cycling I don't remember what chemicals were used but the process took about half a day.

saki, Jun 28, 4:40am
I have got a deioniser used to soften the water for my boilers the cleaningand flushing process uses rock salt to cleanthe resin beads.

cjdnzl, Jun 28, 5:07am
There's something wrong with the charging system if you are continually having to top up the water.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 28, 5:11am
Good point. Or the battery.

carclan, Jun 28, 6:06am
Use water from a dehumidifier, it is the same pretty much.

red97, Jun 28, 6:29am
thats gonna concentrate the stuff you dont want, unless of course you mean boil your jug and collect and condense the steam! pretty sure rain water that has not come into contact with any metals is good for batteries, at work i use water that has been collected from a domestic dehumidifier and that seems to keep them alive for a while.

socram, Jun 28, 6:31am
I used to use the ice from the freezer, but along with the introduction of sealed batteries, the freezers are also frost free these days!
The last time I had to replace a car battery in the daily driver it was a ten year old battery in the Montego - and that was topped up with melted fridge ice.
Currently, the Mini battery is coming up ten years old too and still OK - even though I forgot to put it on trickle charge when I was recently away for five weeks.Put it on trickle before starting and all was OK.
It may be old fashioned, but I still believe in switching everything off (lights, wipers, heater fans etc) before switching off the car.

bigfatmat1, Jun 28, 6:35am
deionisers like our ones have a display this wizardrey tells us when the cartridge needs to be replaced. its what we put in $15000 batteries. but ya usual car batt tap water is fine

solarboy, Jun 28, 12:40pm
My deep cycle batteries stipulate distilled or de-mineralised water ony. In a previous life my workplace had a still which produced hundreds of litres a day if necessary and I'd never heard of de-mineralised till I read the battery label recently but Supercheap here stock it, about $6 odd for 4 litres . Just topped mine for the first time after 12 months use from new.

bmwnz, Jun 28, 6:07pm
We used to use de-mineralised water in some of our test equipment 30 years ago, but were cautioned about drinking it. Does anyone know if the don't drink de-mineralised water caution was real, or just another myth to stop us scoffing expensive water in the lab!

pauldw, Jun 28, 8:09pm
Pure Dew distilled water from Countdown or the Warehouse is about $7 for 10 litres.

elect70, Jun 29, 1:35am
If you liverural then rain water is next besttodistilled.I had samples of my rain water & bore water taken , rain water showed no trace of mineralsit was collected in plasticcontainer.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 29, 2:50am
Not even close to being true.

thewomble1, Jun 29, 3:26am
Water has to be turned to steam and the steam condensed back to water to get rid of all the minerals etc in the water.