Hot hatch ideas please!

Page 1 / 2
shauns, Jul 14, 10:05am
Hi all. I currently own a mazda sp23 limited, and love it except its an auto, and I want to change back to a manual. Am looking at a mazda mps but what other cars of a similar style and size are out there. We've got 2 labs, so a hatch is preferred and leather is also a bonus! Hubby also finds our current car a bit slow when he has to drive it, so it needs to be a good performer! Also, im not keen on the gti golfs, so please dont suggest them :) Please help me motoring gurus!

saxman99, Jul 14, 10:46am
Peugeot 206 GTi 180.

neo_psy, Jul 14, 10:48am
Girl at work has an SP25 Mazda 3.

Goes pretty well

carkitter, Jul 14, 10:52am
Toyota GT 86, being released next month.

shauns, Jul 14, 10:57am
Thanks guys, should have mentioned I need 4 doors :) but thanks, and keep em coming!

sw20, Jul 14, 11:13am
No manual version available. OP asked for manual.

wimwom, Jul 14, 11:17am
Did you take the time to read what i wrote!

sw20, Jul 14, 11:23am
If you want a quick, newish Japanese hatch you can't go past the Mazda 3 MPS, 2.3 litre turbo motor, 190kw 380nm. 6 speed manual, all in a practical 5 door hatch.

Agree on the Golfs. Not quick at all. Even the overpriced R32.

gman35, Jul 14, 11:26am
We also have an auto sp23 , MPS would be the natural next step , wether you go for the same >06ish model or the slightly bigger current-shape one. I would have thought the v6 Corollla (big 3.5l v6 that it is) would still be like most V6's , where you have to rev them until they go , rather than being easy and "torquey" !

sw20, Jul 14, 11:29am
No I didn't. The Blade Master G is a cool car, too bad the car is so damn heavy, coupled with a autotragic gearbox it becomes even slower. The 2GR-FE is a stonking motor, when it has proper cogs behind it and not pushing near 1500kg of hatchback!!

shauns, Jul 14, 11:47am
The reason for wanting to change from an auto, is I'm worried im turning into a bit of a lazy driver and getting a few bad habits. So want to get back to a manual. Lets be honest theyre a LOT more fun to drive too! :) the Blade is cute, and the size I'm after, but a v6 would be even thirstier than an mps wouldnt it! Anyway thank you all, looks like I might stick with Mazda unless anyone else has any other suggestions or, opinions!

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 9:48pm
2009 Honda Civic Type R

gunhand, Jul 14, 9:59pm
The reason for wanting to change from an auto, is I'm worried im turning into a bit of a lazy driver and getting a few bad habits.
shauns (128 )11:47 pm, Sat 14 Jul

So driving a auto can make you a lazy driver with the likelyhood of developing a few bad habits!Can you show some research to back this up or is it just you this would effect!
Sorry not helping with your hatch search but kinda curious about that comment.

turton, Jul 14, 10:04pm
civic type r
wrx hatch
FORD FOCUS XR5
ralliart hatch

gedo1, Jul 14, 10:09pm
Huh!I'm not Jazz but I will ask this. How much time have you spent driving any Golf sporting derivative!We have owned three of these over the years the last being a 2010 model.We have driven most of the other vehicles mentioned here including the 2.4 Blade and the 3.5 Blade master.Great cars both of them but understeer like you wouldn't believe.A late model GTi would eat the 2.4 point to point in our experience. haven't made a comparison with the 3.5 but it would have to be point and squirt driving in that one to keep up with the GTi.They are all great cars when driven within their design parameters.Cheers

mark.52, Jul 14, 10:23pm
Polo GTI does the job for me. The 93n model. Manual. The new ones have DSG boxes.

shauns, Jul 15, 12:02am
Haha I shouldnt have said that. I simply mean that I am a more alert/aware driver in a manual. Of course everyone is different, but i am definitley a lazier driver in an auto.I certainly havent looked into any research :)

The Type R is cool in a sedan, but need the hatch for the dogs, then we are back to a 2 door again! I find the focus's look like a bit of a nana car, no offense to anyone - I know plenty of people say that about the mazdas too. Its all a matter of personal tastes!

vtecintegra, Jul 15, 12:03am
Even in bright orange with the massive wheels!

shauns, Jul 15, 12:05am
Even then! The big square ends on them. And the lights. They just dont do it for me! :) :)

vtecintegra, Jul 15, 12:08am
Well between the 3, Focus and Golf there isn't much else around

You could also look out for the six cylinder Alfa 147, but I think they only came in three door

shauns, Jul 15, 12:10am
Well easy then, a MPS it is! Will have to start trawling through the auctions again to find one I like. Oooh I love shopping! Thanks for all your help people!

mark.52, Jul 15, 12:37am
That Focus in post 19 looks like it would pull some serious numbers. You could disguise the ass of it a bit with an after market spoiler. (Semi-discrete, of course.)

robbo36, Jul 15, 12:41am
Looking at buying a Mazda 3 auto of some description for the wife. When do you intend to sell your current SP23 model! Are you able to give me some details when you are ready as I may be interested! Cheers, Rob.

shauns, Jul 15, 12:48am
Haha! Semi discreet! Jeeeez you'd need a bit more than that wouldn't ya

modie61, Jul 15, 12:49am
I would go for a Gti Golf or maybe a BMW 120i !