1998 Mazda Familia H/Back - few dings - trade in

missus_j, Jul 14, 7:22pm
Hi there,
I have a 98 Mazda Familia H/Back with 165K on the clock.It has two dents in it which are quite noticeable.I have driven with it like that for about 3 years but am now looking at a new car and don't know whether I am better to get the dings fixed or just trade as is.Car goes really well and has been serviced regularly but just a few cosmetic touches required.
Thanks in advance.

grangies, Jul 14, 7:28pm
Have you got some photographs of the dents!

It will help us estimate the costs.

stevo2, Jul 14, 7:59pm
If you are trading in to a dealer, just leave them as they are. A dealer pays less to fix these than you do.
Also the dealer may not even want the car and just send it off to a "trade in centre" or $1 auction it so you wouldnt get your money back.

missus_j, Jul 14, 9:25pm
Sorry don't have any photos but I was quoted $1100 to get them both taken out.

kazbanz, Jul 14, 10:39pm
SO go take some pics :-) There are a whol bunch of us on here who are in the trade or have trade experience. without pics its impossible to offer decent advice. I just removed a HUGE dent in the right rear 1/4 panel of my sons car by hand. It was a $400 repair.Now its barely noticeable.
The thing is if you show it to a dealer all dinged up and looking uncared for the dealer is going to be offering a fair bit less for your car than if it looks all cleaned up and cared for.

mugenb20b, Jul 15, 2:26am
I'm not a panel beater, but it may be cheaper to source good second hand panels instead. Getting the right colour may prove to be a bit of a mission though. Both items are bolted on, so it would only be a matter of a few hours to replace.

neo_psy, Jul 15, 2:51am
I'd try pushing them out from behind - should minimise the dents.Nothing lost if it doesn't work

missus_j, Jul 15, 10:05pm
Any more ideas!

peja, Jul 16, 1:08am
You may be better to simply buy your new car without a trade in and sell the old one on here, you will probably get quite a bit more for it than a dealer will give you as a trade in. For someone just looking for reliable cheap transport and unworried about appearances your old car may be perfectly OK as it is

kazbanz, Jul 16, 1:56am
missus j-I would STRONGLY recommend you contact your localpaintless dent repair company. Most if not all of that will DEFINITELY just pop out.
Dingbusters is one name but theres also dent man
I do not reccomend you attempt it yourself. as it is it looks ok to fix but once someone has got in there with a hammer or a stick etc the metal could be stretched so it wont go back into shape.That will cost about $200 -definitely no more.Once thats done a decent cut and polish of the scratches will at the very least greatly reduce them

missus_j, Jul 16, 2:04am
Thanks everyone and kazbanz.Obviously I do want to get as much as I can for it as we are just a one income family so purchasing a new car is quite a big thing for me now.Gone are the luxuries of pretty much getting what you want pre children huh! :).