BMW Z3

Page 1 / 2
supernova2, Jun 20, 9:55am
I know these are nothing special however are there any particular common problems to watch out for when looking to buy one!Ta

smac, Jun 20, 10:15am
A 3 in the name. Save your money and get a Z4.

Never had one, never will, just that every single review I've ever read on these says this.

vtecnet, Jun 20, 10:33am
All I know is the Z3 steering rack and gear shifter work well in my old E30 bmw

carclan, Jun 20, 10:36am
Check out carsurvey.org and I'm sure it will be there

friendly_prawn, Jun 20, 10:55am
if o/p is anything like me, they'll think the z4 is hideous.
Personally I like the looks of the z3. I wouldnt mind a z3 for a V8 conversion!

doctor_evil99, Jun 20, 11:25am

pandai, Jun 20, 11:35am
Really nice cars, but they do have their quirks, they are a US-assembled budget BMW made out of things they happened to have lying in the parts bin.Front end is E36, rear end is E30 (diff is E30 M3 if I recall!), the most reliable configuration would be the four-cylinder manual, great fun, the auto 4-cylinder is rubbish though, too slow.The bigger engines are nice though, and those cars have a steering rack that is not quite as quick as the 1.9.

The biggest issue you will have is with the soft top, don't be surprised if you have to spend a couple of grand to replace it.

haventrader, Jun 20, 7:09pm
Z3 Coupe - I'd buy one just to drool over it all day.

fiatracer, Jun 20, 7:45pm
an opinion from someone I respect

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=GgADPEFsfhI

gman35, Jun 20, 8:28pm
I almost choked on my popcorn when James Bond drove a z3 in that crap one that Pierce Brosnan did. From Astons to a 7-series to a z3 , thought the next movie would have him in a Corolla ! Seriously though , someone told me a freind in Aussie's 4cyl z3 had extremely hard suspension which was apparently stock , and was as slow as a turtle with no legs.

fiatracer, Jun 20, 8:55pm
4 cylinder Z3 = 140bhp RWD open car based on proven and easily-modified platform, all at a decent price thanks to imports.

6 cylinder Z3 = 192bhp RWD open car based on proven and easily-modified platform, all at a decent price thanks to imports.

6 cylinder Z3 M = 315 - 343 bhp RWD open car based on proven and easily-modified platform, all at a decent price thanks to imports.

fiatracer, Jun 20, 9:00pm
depends what you want. If you just want an open car for summer cruising, a 1.9 auto will probably make you happy. For more fun, a 1.9 manual. If you need more power look for a 6 cylinder, but you'll struggle to find a manual. I have a 2.8 auto and it goes quite well.Look out for: leather wear, especially coming undone around the dash/passenger airbag module [dash out to fix, it seems], and of course normal BMW preventative maintenance. Unless there is proof of it being done, DO replace water pump and thermostat and have radiator and all hoses checked out. Electric windows can become slow - proper fix involves getting inside the doors and using correct lube before the motor burns out.

tractor9, Jun 22, 9:48am
Get a Toyota. I was thinking of writing a book, how does Dog and Grapefruit Guide sound !

fordcrzy, Jun 22, 10:00am
the most common problem to look out for is MX5 drivers laughing at you for buying a car thats inferior to an mx5.:)

bitsy_boffin, Jun 22, 2:33pm
I drove around in a Z3 for a couple of months.

Not a bad car, but, personally, I'd buy an MX5 instead (have owned one of those too).

As for the drive, I found it. a bit wallowy for a sports car, like, driving a mattress.If I'm in a sports car, I want to feel the road, not be on a magic carpet.

If you want a car that looks awesome, the Z3 wins, but if you want function over form, then MX5.

friendly_prawn, Jun 22, 8:55pm
wallowy means nothing.
the suspension is easily modified.
Must admit I have never driven a z3 but would love to have a spin in the 2.8 manual one day just for the hell of it.

geedubu, Jun 23, 3:24am
Fiatracer has described it well.I have owned a 6cyl widebody for a couple of years and recommend that model as a top Sunday driver with many features that elevate it beyond the 4cyl.No problems for me in my ownership.

audi_s_ate, Jun 23, 5:27am
I vaguely remember that being a Z9 not a Z3. Completely different beasts even if they do look similar.

pandai, Jun 23, 5:43am
The Z3 was in GoldenEye, before the car was released.

The Z8 was in another Bond film.

friendly_prawn, Jun 23, 6:46am
wow, had not heard of the z8 before. what a cool looking little toy.
mmmmmmmmmmm, I want one. *adds to dream list*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z8_(E52)
If I am correct the same car but just a variant of the z8 is the Alpina V8 Roadster!
Does anyone are any of these two cars in NZ as I have never seen one here before.

audi_s_ate, Jun 23, 9:17pm
Thanks for clearing that up. I stand corrected.

fordcrzy, Jun 23, 9:20pm
and for that sort of money you could buy an mx5 and add a cosworth supercharger and tein suspension and some nice 17X8 wheels and it would wipe the floor with the beemer. and still have enough money left over for 2 weeks in rarotonga.

pfemstn, Jun 24, 3:23am
and you still end up with a Japper!

sr2, Jun 24, 3:34am
I've had a good drive in a Z3M and despite the fact that I'd just stepped out of a M3CSI Iwas pretty impressed. Great power and brakes, a firm ride but with enough compliance in the suspension to keep it comfortable. Best of all was the wonderfully predictable handling, it's the sort of car you can push hard on those back country roads while still keeping it safe.

fordcrzy, Jun 24, 3:36am
precisely.what more could you want.;)