Rotating tyres

tony461, Jun 22, 9:33am
A year on from all new tyres, I noticed some outer wear on the front ones and thought it would be a good idea to rotate them. I didn't feel like farting around with a single jack so I checked with the company who supplied and fitted them to see what it would cost. Nice surprise,they said it's free.

They jacked up one side of the car and started exchanging the front to back on the same side. We had a chat about it as I always thought it was the front to the opposite back exchange. They didn't mind doing it my way, but said they always do it their way, back to front on same side.

Any thoughts!

cuda.340, Jun 22, 9:35am
a lot of tyres are directional so they only fit one side

wsnownz, Jun 22, 9:36am
My tyres rotate automatically when I drive. Mind you I did pay extra for that, definitely worth it in the long run though!

tony461, Jun 22, 9:36am
Never thought of that. Mine weren't, but I guess it makes sense to stay with a pattern that's foolproof wether they are directional or not.

morrisman1, Jun 22, 9:50am
Mine rotate even when Im not moving, pretty cool party trick that.

If you have wear on the outer edge then perhaps an alignment is more important before you do more damage to the tyres.

40wav, Jun 22, 9:54am
Many vehicles will suffer wear on the outers of the front tyres even with perfect alignment, just from turning, particularly if the vehicle is used alot in town at slow speeds and tight turning (school runs, shopping etc) so is unavoidable. Just one of those things really, so good to rotate them to prolong life.

tony461, Jun 22, 9:55am
The alignment is OK. I thought you always get some edge wear due to the front tyres being the steering ones.

morrisman1, Jun 22, 10:01am
my sentra is wearing the outside, Im not sure if the alignment is out (will be getting checked sometime soon) or if its my driving style of taking corners at Vmax. The car has very little negative camber on the front as standard and a fair bit of body roll thanks to the high ride and that probably doesnt help either.

40wav, Jun 22, 10:17am
Hmm, my Commodore ute suffers a similar but not identical problem. The rear tyres have even wear but will dissappear much quicker than the fronts, occasional white smoke out the back too. Oh well, I guess it'll sort itself out at some point.

neo_psy, Jun 22, 10:26am
My understanding, with modern tyres, is that they steel belts "bed in" to running a particular way, and swapping them to the opposite side isn't good.

I seem to recall the owners manual in my Commodore saying to do them on the same side. But my sister had a 1972 Falcon which said to rotate diagonally, so conventional thinking may have changed.

morrisman1, Jun 22, 10:27am
not the fulla King, with "madmog" Thats a chopped lowlight with gold flames on it and a 4k engine in it last time I saw it. He lives not far from Benmore

vic008, Jun 22, 10:59am
I never do this,prefer to replace my tyres individually instead of replacing them all in one go.

supernova2, Jun 22, 11:04am
Our manual says front to back (same side) back to front (oposite side).That blows just about every theroy I've ever seen.

quickbuck, Jun 22, 11:06am
Must be a Commadore V8 thing. Mine sort themselves when I just buy 4 new ones. Left rear gets to minimium, and the others are in various states of depth. Actually the last set just got noisy so we replaced them. They were rubbish!

johnf_456, Jun 22, 11:10am
Does the party trick work on all 4 wheels!

morrisman1, Jun 22, 11:59am
yea, he had a morris minor ute with a 350 small block, sitting on a mitsubishi l200 chassis. Had a body drop on it. Last time I was out at his shed it had a body sitting on a chassis but that was about it.

fungles, Jun 22, 12:04pm
Im about to rotate my pistons and bearing shells.

alimac1, Jun 23, 7:33am
But it's only about $20 to go to a tyre shop and get them swapped on the rims.