Fibreglass repairs. For car bumpersanyone recommend a good value for one place

Page 1 / 2
gay-panda-guy, Jun 17, 8:38am
For car bumpers.anyone recommend a good value for one place!

spottie, Jun 17, 10:14am
Is it definitely fibreglass!, if so check out a local boatbuilders, one of the staff there will do it for cash. If plastic you will have to get it welded as fibreglass won't stick long term.

friendly_prawn, Jun 17, 10:38am
Fiberglass is very basic to work with. You could always do it yourself.
Not being a smart ass. It actually is very simple to work with.

gay-panda-guy, Jun 17, 10:54am
Gee.I always thought fibreglass was quite complicated!

My back bumper though has a fair chunk of it missing at the end.it looks like it could be a big job.hmmmm.

spottie, Jun 17, 10:56am
That's right simple to work with, bit harder to do right. Worked with lots of newbie boatbuilders who thought the same thing in the last 30yrs.

friendly_prawn, Jun 17, 11:04am
gay-panda-guy is doing a repair on a bumper, not building a world class racing yaucht.
I have worked a lot with fiberglass and although i wouldnt pretend to be a boat builder basic repairs arent rocket science.
I once built a transmission tunnel for a corvette replica I was building up out of fiberglass, once painted and sanded it came up looking pretty good.
Gee if I can do it, anyone can do it.
I still got photos of me making the transmission tunnel out of fiberglass during the build too. might dig em out tomorrow.

spottie, Jun 17, 1:22pm
That's right, basic repairs aren't rocket science but they still require thought and attention. I have had my share of rebuilding other peoples repairs over the years and not just from novices.

socram, Jun 17, 10:05pm
As it isa bumper, chances are that it wil probably get dinged again anyway!Agree with FP.Give it a go, as if it turns to custard, it is easy enough to get it redone.Angle grinder or sanding discs will take it back.

But, is the bumper fibreglass or plastic!

saffa2, Jun 17, 10:23pm
Yeah, not many cars with fiberglass bumpers.

friendly_prawn, Jun 17, 10:32pm

friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 12:00am
And why do you guys think you cant fix a plastic bumper with fiberglass.
From my experience Fiberglass resin will stick to anything.
Not that I have done it before but the only issue I can see is the fiberglass being much harder than plastic would be an issue when it comes to sanding.I think a solution could be to use the fiberglass for the repair on the back side of the plastic bumper where it doesnt matter what it looks like.
On the top side just use some sort of softer filler to finish with. Maybe some sort of auto body filler!

I could have that all wrong but surely that would do the trick! No!I wouldnt hesitate to try it.

On buildings where there is rot I have used fiberglass resin. Its amazing stuff. I have seen people use builders bog which falls out a few months later. But when ever i do a repair on rotten timber I use fiberglass resin.
Just dig out the rot, let it dry out and fill. permanent solution and solves having to replace a whole window or rotten boards etc.Only issue again is the fiberglass resin is stronger than timber so they dont sand evenly.
I just use a Linbide Scraper on the glass area to get it down even and finish off best as I can with sanding. Always seems to come out pretty good.

so I dont see why fiberglassing plastic wouldnt work. im happy to stand corrected. :-)

socram, Jun 18, 12:54am
It would work OK, but just posing the question!

There are materials you can add to the resin to make it easier to sand - can't remember the name of it but it is a very, very lightweight powder.

hopie, Jun 18, 1:01am
the problem I have found FP is that you have to get every single air bubble out of the fibreglass. you need to fully rape the FG mesh with the resin otherwise it will create a air bubble between the fibre glass and plastic and will fall off, I have done a couple of plastic bumpers with fibre glass with success but with all things prep is a biggy.

friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 1:13am
Again -if an idiot like me can do it etc.

budgel, Jun 18, 1:35am
If you are looking to pay someone to do the repair, it may be more cost effective to find a good second hand bumper.

friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 1:44am
I know in the past when doing fiberglass repairs I have used and have added a white powder to the mix. Been a while so cant rememer what reason I was addingit for.Im guessing its the same thing as you are talking about.

jason18, Jun 18, 1:50am
Sure you werent snorting that white powder while working mate! haha

friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 1:52am
aha, cheers Jason, you just jogged my memory. so that was why I was using it.

spottie, Jun 18, 8:03am
Powder is micro spheres, used to fill the resin. Different types for different resins. Fibreglass doesn't stick to plastic bumpers in general. If you grind the plastic check to see if it looks greasy or not to get the right type of resin to glue it back together. If in doubt talk to a panelbeaters supply shop. Basically welding is better for plastic.
If repairing fibreglass epoxy resin would probably be a better fool proof way to go.
Since you are in Auckland go to Nuplex or PJ Hobbs

spottie, Jun 18, 8:06am
If you get stuck I'm sure friendly_prawn will do it for you, fibreglass shouldn't be a problem for a rocket scientist just for those that do it for a living.

gunhand, Jun 18, 8:17am
I used fibergalss on a plastic bumper once. Like a few I thought that shit sticks to anything so used it. All it did was peel off.
A pic of the repair needed would help us direct you to the best course of action. There are products made for plastic repairs.

friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 8:23am
heheheheheh growly growly.

friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 8:25am
must depend what type of plastic. I used fiberglass resin and matting on some pipes that I assume were made out of pvc. And there is no way in you would ever get it off again.
But then this is all a moot point.
panda dude did say he wants fiberglass repair.

familiadude, Jun 18, 11:40am
I havent read the whole thread but there is a guy in papakura that does plastic/fibreglass repairs down Ingram street from memory cant remember the name of the place though

ceebee2, Jun 18, 6:27pm
I have repaired many plastic bumpers with fibreglass with no problems.good clean prep is the key. Just use a 2 pack resin first on dynel cloth then use the same resin on the second coat with filler powder added in it for really easy sanding. Don't mix bog with it cause it will fall off.