Fibreglass repairs. For car bumpersanyone recommend a good value for one place

Page 2 / 2
friendly_prawn, Jun 18, 8:12pm
cool post.
cheers ceebee2 that confirms my thoughts. As stated in a previous post of mine, I have stuck PVC together with fiberglass and it would have taken a hammer to smash it apart.
cheers for confirming that.

panda guy, let us know how you get on if you do it your self please. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
cheers.

elect70, Jun 19, 3:24am
Buy several pairs ofrubber gloves, its messy& hard to get off your skin . Buy chopped strand matforpatchwell soaked in sesin,then dynel mat over the outside well soaked . .sandoff when dry& usemask as it tastesbad

friendly_prawn, Jun 19, 4:13am
A mate of mine who introduced me to the stuff (a coach and body builder) reckons if you get the resin in your eyes it can blind you.What he said anyways.

ceebee2, Jun 19, 4:51am
He is correct :(

lookoutas, Jun 19, 5:32am
We still don't know whether this is a glass or plastic bumper.
PVC and plastic bumpers are entirely different - plastic bumpers need to flex. fibreglass doesn't = problem.

Hence edit - I wouldn't use glass on a plastic bumper.

friendly_prawn, Jun 19, 5:42am
see post 27.

lookoutas, Jun 19, 6:55am
I did - and I wouldn't do it for the reasons I and gunhand mentioned.
But we still need to know what the bumper is.

friendly_prawn, Jun 19, 6:59am
fair nuff.
Personally Im all for a quck cheap repair. But each to their own i guess.

gay-panda-guy, Jun 19, 7:05am
Yes I want a quick cheap repair.and for someone who asked.it is a fibreglass bumper.

gunhand, Jun 19, 7:20am
Being glass it easy enough to do yourself if ya like getting messy. Sand back all the paint etc to raw glass. You may need a packer to fill the gap but anything that holds up will be fine, even the old chicken wire trick.Soak the matting in resin put in on dab into place and repeat. Once youve done a few leave it to dry. Remove backing if you can lol. Then sand with 36 grit and if need be repeat. Fill with normal filler to finish. And dont get the matting etc on paint or gell coat, it sometimes wont stick.
Thats how I would do it and pretty much been said above.
Its a messy dusty process.

newtec1, Jun 19, 9:07am
Are you thinking of micro balloons as in treating osmosis with resin.! They dont look like balloons at all,but a very fine powder.

newtec1, Jun 19, 9:10am
Bring it round panda.Like candy to a baby,easy as.When you buy the filler,make sure it has the reo fibres in the mix,and not just a glass filler.

supernova2, Jun 19, 11:18am
Just a wild stab but maybe its a Fiat Panda bumper which AFAIK is fiberglass.I've worker with fiberglass experts in the past and seem to remember being told that there are different types of f'glass and some wont stick to others.Might not be correct but could be just another problem for the OP

spottie, Jun 19, 11:35am
3 types of resin, Polyester, Vinylester and Expoxy. Vinyester and polyester won't stick to epoxy they don't like the amines in it. Epoxy on the other hand will stick to the others, once the surface is cleaned or abraded.Just make sure the bumper is not made of SMC which means you can only use epoxy to repair it as it has built in waxes for mould release. Most GRP truck bodies are made from this stuff.