2000 Subaru Lancaster H6 with HID low beams

humvee, Jun 17, 12:54am
How the heck do I get access to the high beam bulb to replace it in a Subaru lancaster H6 2000. I beleive the bulb is an H1 but would like to confirm before I get the bulbs - then obviously I need to get in to them to replace them. From what I can see there is a star screw with a pin in the middle underneath the bulb cover/holder that needs to be undone before the cover can be removed to access the bulbs. Is this correct - It is in a very dificult location to get to and is an odball screw type. I will link to a photo in next post

unbeatabull, Jun 17, 1:52am
It is a security torx head, you can get the bits from a tool shop to undo them. Wouldn't of thought they'd be on a head light cover though, normally see them on AFM's, Radio's etc

humvee, Jun 17, 9:36pm
I would not have not thought they would have a security screw on a light bulb cover either,

All the manuals I have in english are for the subaru outback rather then the lancaster - without the hid lights and say you can just turn the cover to undo. But I cannot turn the cover and at the bottom the cover seems to be joined directly to the bit of plastic that screw goes through - meaning the screw would need to be undone.

But there is very limited working space and the best way I have found to see whats going on is my cellphone camera

cpnnz, Jun 17, 9:43pm
May have that sort of bolt head to deter the 'untrained' from opening the back of the headlamp and risking electric shock from the low-beam HID bulb. They run pretty high voltage I think. Dont stick your fingers in behind the headlight if powered on.

alltorque350, Jun 18, 7:20am
The head light is easu\y to pull off. 2 bolts on top and 2 in the front. May need some persuasion to clear the bumper.