Subaru lancaster 2001 cambelt belt replacementcost

tom9, Apr 11, 9:35am
Hey all
Does anyone know a ruff cost of labour and parts to get a cambelt and water pump in a Subaru lancaster 2001!

Looking at buying a lancaster, it has 91ks on the clock and will need the cambelt replaced soon.

Will give a few places a call tomorrow for cost, but thought on the odd chance someone could give me a answer today =D

40wav, Apr 11, 9:40am
Good grief, as luck would have it (or youve seen on here before) you have supplied the vehicles make and year. This has removed all the potential fun from this thread and, as Im unable to help you with the required information, I will go. Dont worry, someone will be able to help, just be patient. Good luck.

tom9, Apr 11, 9:41am
lol, if there was a "like" button on your post, I would push it.

zephyrheaven, Apr 11, 9:43am
a grand

321mat, Apr 11, 11:54pm
PREPARE to re-mortgage your house.

Subaru make wonderful cars, BUT, Subaru dealers are as crooked as they come.Is it any wonder why Subaru are the No. 1 selling Jap import, and yet the NZ new Subarus are only about the 15th or 16th best selling!
BECAUSE (surprise, surprise!) Subaru dealers here in NZ treat their customers like sh1t, once they've sold them a new car.Any discount given on the purchase price will be somehow added to your service costs in the forst year or so.AND, do not bother complaining to Subaru NZ, they are just as bad - proving the axiom that amoral corruption exists at the bottom ONLY because the top is similarly corrupt, and so therefore allows it to continue.

Oh, and as for cost - approx $600 - $1100, depending on how much you want to do. remember to replace ALL the jockey wheels and the tensioner, as the life on these is only around the 100km mark, and if they fail, you'll be facing major engine repairs.Also, it's a good time to change the spark plugs, oil, and transmission fluid.And the air and fuel filters as well.

Good luck.

johnf_456, Apr 12, 1:05am
+1 That sure is a first

noswalg, Apr 12, 4:37am
Is it the 2.5L or 3.0L! 3.0L is chain driven!

tom9, Apr 12, 9:11am
its a 2.5. Thanks for your help all, I think I'm going on pass on the Subarus all together.

foxy1975, Apr 12, 9:17am
to do it properly it will be approx $1000 to do the belt, tensioner, all idlers, and the waterpump, if the cam seals are leaking they should be done to. a good shop would also remove the oil pump and replace the o ring seal as they crush and leak, and the crank seal while the pump is off. if you do all that, and service it regularly it will go for the next 100 000 kms troublr free. it is also a good idea to remove all the rocker cover washers and put a washer under the head of the bolts to put more pressure on the gaskets as they are renowned for leaking as the hold down bolt rubbers crush over time.

panicky, Apr 12, 9:25am
Wingers Genuine cam kit $399+GST (crank seal, belt, all tensioners and idlers) $99+GST for waterpump, includes thermostat, Only extras are cam seals, unsure what they are priced at.These are their retail prices

franc123, Apr 12, 9:30am
Which is exactly what you should insist on if you own a Subaru, don't shag around with pirate parts, the genuine bits are not expensive.Having seen two brand new aftermarket hydraulic tensioners fail within 1500km of them being fitted, luckily not causing valve/piston contact, only an extremely loose belt that was rubbing on the covers, I would not bother.There is some cheap and nasty crap out there.

ming24, Apr 13, 1:55am
I wouldn't pass on them just because of the price for the cambelt replacement.I own a 2001 Legacy (which is pretty much the same as your car) and did the cambelt on it a year ago.I got various quotes and they ranged from $1200 - $1600.This was to do the complete works including waterpump, crank seals and cam seals.They are really good cars and if you regularly service them (as you should with any car) they will last the distance.

I will agree that they are a little harder to work on with the configuration of the engine but I wouldn't trade my wagon for anything (actually I might trade up to a 2005 legacy wag).

ajayzbabe, Apr 13, 8:51am
I'd rather do a cambelt job on any subaru than many 4 or especialy V6 model front wheel drive vehicles. At least theres room to get in there.

thunderbolt, Apr 13, 9:51am
The Gates kit which is available from Repco and Appco uses only OE Exact Spec parts in the kit, and the belt has all timing marks printed on the belt.
It also comes with a warranty that far exceeds the genuine parts.

franc123, Apr 13, 10:34am
Point taken, the post above was a little bit general.Gates are clearly a reputable brand, but there are still a few out there that aren't so good, you still need to be careful with what is being fitted.

hijacka, Apr 13, 10:57am
Have any of you heard the saying:
Don't fix whats not fucked!
The engine has only done 91,000kms and your all talking about like your got to rebuild the engine again!
I can understand about cambelt and waterpump but, oil seals, bearings tensioners alone are adding $500+ to the cost of it let alone removing oil pump and replacing 0 rings FFS look at what your dealing with> its a non turbo ej thats very low km and would have had quite a easy life compared to turbo versions, but yeah its not YOUR money thou ae haha

thunderbolt, Apr 13, 9:13pm
Short term thinking there Hijacka.

Luckily more mechanics are joining the "do it once and do it right" way of thinking and replacing all related seals and components.
Seals and o-rings are made of rubber which degrade over time.
The smart option is to set the vehicle up to do another 100K without going back in to replace the leaking cam seal you were too lazy to replace.

I am wondering why you would suggest replacing the waterpump is ok, but not the other items!
All have bearings that have done thousands and thousands of rotaions, packed with 10year old grease now, and also containing with 10 yr old rubber seals.

It may be low Km for the age, but how many of those were done sitting still, or crawling in hot trafffic!

As i said before, luckily more and more mechanics are taking the professional approach to cambelt and component replacement.

hijacka, Apr 14, 4:37am
thunderbolt wrote:
Short term thinking there Hijacka.

Short term thinking! What do you mean by that!
As i said B4 you must look at the car in question! and a non turbo ej25 is hardly a hard or high reving engine, I'm not going to get in to a heated arguement about what should or shouldnt be replaced at 91kms, your intilte to your opinion but i don't see why you should replace bearings that are still good for another 100,000kms! Also no point performing a 1500-2000 service on a 4-5k car either unless your got more money than sense! Its very easy to pick out the worn bearings(if your a good mechanic) and can't see why you would replace a perfectly good bearingunless money wasn't a factor. And i would replace the water pump because its a cheap part to replace anyway.
Heres my cost-
$140 cambelt
$100 waterpump
$30 Type A coolant
$300 labour
Time 2-3 hours with total of $570
Add another $1000 for your recommended service ae!

mecanix, Apr 14, 4:56am
hahahahahahahahaha ok.where to begin.for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars+ GST of which i see no mention in your ahh "quote" the owner gets the piece of mind knowing that all that can be done to prevent a catastrophic failure has been done, and the workshop can confidently guaruntee their work. i am picking you are a backyard warrior with no regard for the quality of your work.

hijacka, Oct 28, 1:12am
BAhaha Think what you like i don't do backyard mechanical work theres no money in it! Its reserved for my own toys including a 400-450hp legacy i built all myself including the tune so don't act like you know me cause you don't.no shit!