Any scooter/moped experts?

kiwigrl2, Jun 16, 12:18am
I'm looking at buying my first scooter, just something to get me round town for the remainder of the year and hopefully not break down. So something reasonably cheap, cos I'm just wanting it for about 5 months. I quite like the retro style, and can see brand new chinese models for about $1300. Or there are older but more trusted brands for about the same price, e.g. 1994 Honda Giorno, 2003 Suzuki Verde, 1999 Yamaha Vino.so any recommendations! They all look kinda the same to the ignorant scooter people like myself.

therafter1, Jun 16, 12:20am
Yep, stick with the trusted brands. One day the Chinese brands may be trusted, but I don't believe that that day has arrived yet !

kiwigrl2, Jun 16, 12:22am
Even though they're way older do you still reckon they'd be more trustworthy! Any of those 3 in particular!

therafter1, Jun 16, 12:24am
PS. I'm a motorcyclist, so a part of the purchase is ensuring that you have appropriate safety gear for riding a scooter (it is still a motorcycle of sorts) and that you always use the appropriate gear when riding the scooter. Bare hands, Jandals, sneakers, shorts, T-shirts etc just don't cut the mustard when you are skidding down the road on your backside.

therafter1, Jun 16, 12:26am
I will stick my neck out and say yes providing that you choose carefully. Best to have someone along that is in the know re the basics of the machine, its care, and how well it appears to have been cared for. In other words, buyer beware, it is a second hand item.

No particular brand preference, the three manufacturers that you have named are all usually known for manufacturing quality products.

kiwigrl2, Jun 16, 12:35am
Thanks for that. They're all sold by a dealer in Auckland who has refurbishedthem with 3 months warranty, so hopefully they'd be ok for my needs. And I'm pretty safety conscious, so no jandals for me!

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 16, 2:28am
Yep. The ground is just as hard no matter what you ride.

slarty45, Jun 16, 2:37am
I bought a scooter a while back (Suzuki AN125) but don't use it much.
500km 1st year
With the rego cost $414 now wish I had bought a 50 moped instead $172

kazbanz, Jun 16, 2:43am
just for the record--The Hyusung scooters seem to be pretty darn good and there are "hot up" kits off the shelf for em

kcf, Jun 16, 4:21am
I've had a couple of Honda Dio 50's and I rate them as punching well above their weight.I sold a basically new Suzuki to get a ten year older Dio, cos having ridden a Dio it was just miiiiiiiles better.

crosis_nz, Jun 16, 1:12pm
I never thought about scooters until invited on a scooter challenge. Didnt intend to keep a scooter so I bought a brand new Chinese cheapie for $1000, and another $150 for signwriting etc. 18 months later, I still have it and still use it. Even my 13yo daughter has a go too. Addictive little things, great for coffee runs and quick deliveries and it is still belting along without a single thing being done to it.

That said I do feel guilty every time I push it past my VF1000R though. After all a scooter is not a real bike <g>.

j_fung9007, Jun 17, 4:58am
DON'T buy the CHINESE scooters, I bought one 6-7 years ago, it was 6months old but keeps on breaking down. The bike mechanic wasn't keen to fix it at first, he said their parts are made out of 2nd grade material, easily break and hard to get parts from. Had that crappy scooter for just under a year and after many visits to the mechanic, I've decided to trade that scooter in and got myself an older and much higher kms Suzuki SJ50. That thing just keeps on going and going for another couple of years without any issues. So from my experience, go for a Japanese well known brand scooters.

kiwigrl2, Jun 18, 3:06am
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm gonna go for the Suzuki Verde instead of this chinese thing. Even though it's older, I seem to be getting the same negative responses from everyone about the chinese made crap.