Holden ute 5L VS or 5.7L VU?

jarrod261, Jun 17, 4:57am
I'm looking at getting a holden ute pretty soon but not sure what model/engine to get.
I've heard plenty of good things about both, Power and economy wise.
Been told the 5L is cheaper for parts and is easier to work on, And the 5.7L is cheaper to run and can get more power from it.

Anyone on here have some experience with both of these models!

There are quite a few decent VS v8 utes for sale here, as there are also loads of v8 VU.

magicmat, Jun 17, 5:08am
Not that I have had a ute but I can say the difference between the Holden 5litre and the chev (LS1) 5.7 is pretty big. The 5litre engines make a lot of noise but dont really seem to be going anywhere for it, they use a lot of gas and have way less power. I would say without a doubt get the 5.7 (if its not the stroker version of the 5litre) or you will likely be kicking yourself.

fordcrzy, Jun 17, 5:22am
the 5.7 is now a dime a dozen. i would say that its easier to get a 5.7 than a 5 liter. dozens of tuners know th 5.7 ( or at least wont stuff one up) tan the more hard to tune 5.0

bubbles244, Jun 17, 5:33am
5.7 is a better all around unit and can produce more HP for less money then it takes to get the same from the older 5.0

magicmat, Jun 17, 8:30am
Yip, even the 5litre stroker (also 5.7) still produces way less power than a completely stock LS1.

icemans1, Jun 17, 2:26pm