Where can I buy cheap tyres?

jenniebee, Aug 8, 10:35pm
I've got a subaru legacy station wagon and need two new tyres. Hubby called a couple of places and cheapest quote was $130 per tyre. Is that about standard! I know nothing about cars / tyres. Can you get second hand tyres cheap cause our car is too crap to spend $260 on two tyres :o)

jenniebee, Aug 8, 10:38pm
haha fair enough :o)

net_oz, Aug 8, 10:50pm
[quote= Can you get second hand tyres cheap cause our car is too crap to spend $260 on two tyres :o)[/quote]

You obviously place no value on your or other peoples lives.

saffa2, Aug 8, 11:02pm
You obviously place no value on your or other peoples lives.[/quote]
Very large conclusion jumped to there.

doublek, Aug 8, 11:35pm
Doesn't look obvious to me. Am I missing something!

familiadude, Aug 8, 11:39pm
tyre size would help too I got brand new toyo proxes 4's for $140 a tyre and thats a 205/40/17 but depending on the legacy it might already have 17s anyway. Second hand tyres are false economy my girlfriend had some on her old car and they didnt last that long at all

cocabowla, Aug 8, 11:42pm
have a look under tyre listings for your area and chances are there will be a tyre dealer selling and if they dont list the size you want just ASK. i bought some used japanese bridgestones up in auckland where i am for $55 each and they were 80% tread and the exact same tyre as sold in nz new.

shelleigh, Aug 8, 11:43pm
You obviously place no value on your or other peoples lives.[/quote]

I agree net_oz. No way would I put cheap tyres - new or second hand - on any vehicle I owned, Safer and more economical to put decent tyres on.

morrisman1, Aug 9, 12:21am
cheap tyres aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They may not have the same grip level and you drive accordingly but in no way are they like driving on marbles.

stevel_knievel, Aug 9, 12:51am
All my cars have had used tyres on them. I bought them new, but as soon as I drove on them, they was used.

vtecintegra, Aug 9, 12:55am
On the flip side more expensive tyres are often softer compounds that give more grip but wear a lot more quickly.

Paying more does not necessarily mean they'll last longer, in fact I've had better wear out of crappy Tornado Alphas than much more expensive tyres. Not that I'd ever buy another set though as grip is just too poor

drew2009, Aug 9, 1:13am
Find the cheapest quote you can that isn't from Tonys tire service.
Go to tonys tire service and get them to beat it by $10 a tire.
Got a set of 195/65/15 Supercats for $99 a tyre like that and they have been great, fine for a general purpose road tyre.
Stay away from the Wan Li or Triangle brand tyres they sometimes slightly out of balance from the factory and cause road noise and problems.

They also sell Road Damage insurance its only $10 -15 a tyre from memory. With that if your tyre is damaged on the road and they can't repair it they will give you a brand new one fitted for free.

drew2009, Aug 9, 1:25am
Also another option is try find two legacy rims with good tyres on tm.
If you buy only the tyres second hand off trademe make sure you allow $20-30 per tyre for fitting.
You want at least 4mm tread and make sure they don't have wear on the edges, nice even wear.

xraps, Sep 24, 11:54pm
A couple things to consider first. The vehicle in question is a 4WD and must therefore have 4 matched tires to avoid damage to the G'box and diffs.
If your current tires are directionals you will need to replace the worn pair with exact same size directionals or replace all four with normal radials.
I stand to be corrected but i believe VTNZ etc do check this and can fail a wof for mismatched sizing and mixed types.