Changing from 91 to 98 octane on my nissan?

Page 1 / 2
kimandreece, Aug 8, 8:31am
I have a 93 Nissan navara which has always been run on 91 Octane. Is it safe to convert to 98 octane! is there any special adaptions needed!

mugenb20b, Aug 8, 8:33am
Is it carburetted or efi!

kimandreece, Aug 8, 8:38am
efi VG30E v6, I get F all out of a full tank of 91 (350kms), so I'm wondering if the octane change might help

wrong2, Aug 8, 8:40am
probablly not , if yes it will be F all & will probably just cancel out the extra cost

might run a bit sweeter for you tho

tuttyclan, Aug 8, 8:43am
Try 95 first as 98 is really for hi performance cars with turbos

franc123, Aug 8, 8:44am
very doubtful it would make any difference.Start looking at the "tune up" items, spark plugs/filters etc and perhaps get a diagnostic scan done to see that the EFI system is functioning properly if you are concerned about economy, including checking that the engine is getting hot enough.That model of Navara/Terrano V6 is not known for being economical.

moosie_21, Aug 8, 8:47am
Do 95 first, made a hell of a difference to my car. 98 is just a waste without significant mods and a turbo.

wrong2, Aug 8, 8:48am
you dont need a turbo to need 98

also , turbos can be fitted for economy

moosie_21, Aug 8, 8:50am
True, but he doesn't have a Type-R running 11.5:1 compression does he!

boat3, Aug 8, 8:54am
well,.my 3.5 v6 gdi pajero goes marginally further on 95,than 91.it just runs properly on 95.more power. I have tried 98 in it and it did go well on it,need to do a long trip to check the ltrs per 100 properly.i think you should try 95.perhaps get the o2 sensors looked at too!.

franc123, Aug 8, 8:55am
precisely.

wrong2, Aug 8, 8:57am
wrong

turbos can be optimised for economy for either fuel

wrong2, Aug 8, 8:58am
the amount of cams has nothing to do with it

the compression does

but really the biggest part of the gain you get over 91 is because of how crap our 91 is in this country

wrong2, Aug 8, 8:59am
the only engines that should be running 91 are used for cutting grass

unclejake, Aug 8, 9:55am
Your previous statements in this thread were a bit harsh, but basically true. The above statement is ridiculous

wrong2, Aug 8, 10:27am
well it doesnt seem the same quality as whats sold overseas

ive had first hand experience with the exact same model as ive owned here over in aussie - as well as rentals in singapore & japan. seems our 91 has lower quality additives compared

98 isnt needed for many - but i dont use 91 in anything i own based of the differences in running (cept the aforementioned)

jason18, Aug 8, 8:06pm
Those are big thirsty engines are they not. Powering a heavy navara. Sounds about normal to.me

stevexc, Aug 8, 9:30pm
I've owned a Nissan Maxaima and a Nissan Gloria with VG30E engines in them.They are nice engines but really thirsty around town, no better than my current V8 Fairmont.

morrisman1, Aug 8, 9:36pm
Go tell that to BMW then, who currently seem to putting turbos on everything

morrisman1, Aug 9, 12:33am
Yes petrols too. Instead of fitting a 4.4 V8 they fit for example a 3.0 twin turbo.

vtecintegra, Aug 9, 12:45am
Not exactly the same engine, but compare a basic 1.4l Polo to a 1.2TSI. Actually the basic 1.4 in the Polo is about the same as a 1.4TSI is in a much larger Golf.

drew2009, Aug 9, 1:34am
Fuel octane level and quality is likely the least of your problems.
Try changing for some nice platinum spark plugs (on special at SCA) and getting the ecu codes read to see if all is well.
Those engines weren't exactly known for economy anyway so don't expect miracles. As far as your original question yes you could change to a higher octane fuel with no special adaptations.

michael.benn, Aug 9, 3:44am
More fun that way ;)

mcwilly, Aug 9, 9:31am
looking at buying a nissan primera 2ltr 2002 station wagon, does anyone own one!

jason18, Sep 27, 2:50pm
What a random question. I have an 04