Fair go and ezybuy car auctions

Page 1 / 5
gabru_g, Jul 18, 10:11pm
did anyone watch it

tigra, Jul 18, 10:20pm
Yep.And I never cease to be amazed at the way people accept a car salesmans glib assurances. However it seems some dealers can just ignore Tribunal decisions with impunity

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 18, 10:22pm
Yes, I'm sure someone did.

Glad to be of help.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 18, 10:25pm
If people are simply too stupid to buy with due care what, for most, is their second largest purchase in their lives, I really can't find a great deal of pity for them when they get swindled by rogues.

gabru_g, Jul 18, 10:28pm
so it`s ok to sell unsafe cars to families if they are stupid!

modie61, Jul 18, 10:30pm
If you were buying a car for your family to ride around in,would you get an independent inspection done ! I would,id want it fully checked out and i would even get a new wof put on it.

gabru_g, Jul 18, 10:36pm
yes totally agree they should have got an inspection done

floscey, Jul 18, 11:00pm
been into the one in Otahuhu . Didnt even get to veiw a car ,got harrassed with a huge questioneer form ,so walked back out .

gabru_g, Jul 18, 11:02pm
they say any publicity is good publicity not sure about being on FAIR GO though LOL

gman35, Jul 18, 11:31pm
So without even looking at it but going by what on here so far , just another FairGo story where someone buying a reasonably large $$ item did not really check anything themselves / get anything checked/ took salesperson's "word"!

bwg11, Jul 18, 11:42pm
Common sense and caveat emptor go out the window with the thought of "saving" a couple of grand.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 18, 11:52pm
The question is did they do so knowingly or were they simply incompetent! And can you prove it!

Lets put it this way. when I went in the people working there hadn't long graduated from camels to internal combustion engines.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 18, 11:54pm
I went there about 5 years back to look at a car which seemed to suit my purpose. I did what Fair Go did - asked when the auction is. There is no auction and their 'tender' is a sham too - it's just a one-on-one negotiation. Needless to say I left and never even entertained the idea of going back.

tristanchev, Jul 19, 12:19am
The family got a pre-purchase inspection from ezibuy which really should of been "independant" because they are "selling on behalf"

kazbanz, Jul 19, 12:51am
In fairness to the family concerned They purchased under the impression that they HADa pre purchase inspection carried out.
Im on personally dangerous ground here by saying its not a good idea having the inspection done by a company with a connection to the dealer concerned.
-(I make recomendations to customers all the time but I recomend Car inspection services or THEIR mechanic)
Regardless of the fact that they are our competition I agree that the easybuy tender system is a total sham.Everything you do with them is what you do at any car dealer anytime.Why it hasn't been made illegal is an utter mystery to me.

incar., Jul 19, 12:59am
Ive inspected alot of cars there, they think I'm a rude prick because i tell it like it is, only 1 car passed my inspection and was purchased, no mention of the company who inspected it. Let's just say they were recently on tv

elect70, Jul 19, 1:18am
Thoseplaces are for mugs , worse than turners . .Dumping ground for trade insno dealerwouldput on his lot, as CGAFTAwould come back & bite him in the ass & cost more than the sale . Of cousrse they also offereasyfinance ( which is what they realy want as own that too )

kcc55a, Jul 19, 1:35am
Not everybody can be a used car expert and some "inspection companies'have dodgy links with traders.If you dont know about cars, or the methods of selling (and ownership) you have to put some faith in the answers you get. You cannot make an allowance for straight out lying. The same thing applies to anything you buy whether it be a car, boat, house or a horse. You ask questions and you expect straight answers.

kazbanz, Jul 19, 2:43am
Yea but when it smells like rotten fish ,looks like rotten fishquite likely theres something really fishy going on.
You would think allarm bells would ring when the seller refuses to put a new wof on a vehicle and they make it clear thsat they are exempt from the CGA and soga

spy_di, Jul 19, 2:51am
I wanted to get an AA check done on a car there but they said no AA allowed on the premises !alarm bells rang

mike77, Jul 19, 4:08am
The biggest mistake that family made was to pay 10k for a 90's explorer in the first place.

kcc55a, Jul 19, 4:26am
Wasnt aware of the WoF refusal or the "exempt from the CGA " etc. Sometimes people get so convinced they are getting a bargain they act too hastily in case they lose it. Happens with everything I guess.Thats why there ar so many owners of leaky apartments bought off the plans.
In my other life I recently had to help a young lady who was so excited she had been accepted for finance that she went in and bought a car straight off the lot in Lower Hutt. Didnt even drive it! And you can guess the rest.

chebry, Jul 19, 4:29am
Buying an Exploder is a mistake full stop no parts backup in NZ and awful design &build

kazbanz, Jul 19, 5:14am
Actually I must edit--It would be unfair to say that they refuse to do a WOF.
I don't know the intimate workings of their company.
But because the goods are sold by as is where is tender they are not required to have a less than 28 day /1 month old wof and like TM as is where is $1 reserve auctions the cars are exempt from the CGA and SOGA

stevo2, Jul 19, 5:58am
Thats what I thought soon as they said the price. $10k for that is a laugh