Want to buy a second hand ute

mcwoods, Aug 7, 11:35pm
proberly something in the 1990's , any advice! what make or model! and also whats the max kms i should buy a ute with!

carclan, Aug 7, 11:46pm
Falcons are a good bet as they are simple and do high mileage, good engines that don't burn alot of oil

mcwoods, Aug 7, 11:53pm
thank you :):)

splinter67, Aug 8, 12:31am
But they burn a lot of petrol what do you want the ute for

mugenb20b, Aug 8, 12:32am
All makes and models are OK in the 90's era, but some can have notchy gearboxes at higher mileages, like Mitsi L200 and Nissan Navaras. Also, check for rust.

Having said that, the best value for money utes are Nissans, Ford / Mazda and Mitsi.

Mileage.you won't have much choice as they will all be high. Service history would be more important.

mugenb20b, Aug 8, 12:33am
They rust and door locks / catches fall apart.

carclan, Aug 8, 3:10am
Mine has been good or though its a BA, the XF's are a bit rusty I think but as far as have a good range of spare parts and so on then its the thing to have. The seem to sell well too.

fryan1962, Aug 8, 3:50am
what do you want to do! long distance driving! towing! a flat tray! a tub!
single cab! dual cab!

I have l200 alum tray diesel good for me wont go over 110klm

whqqsh, Aug 8, 3:58am
agree, depends on your use, Ive had a few utes but wouldnt even try to compare my old L200 Mitsi (short distance work & back hack) & VS Commodore (all uses, lots of open road & boat towing)

roys351, Aug 8, 9:53am
nobody has ever wanted to buy a doorlock from me as for rust no more than anything else from the 90;s utes tend to be less garaged than the family car but i wouldent say the falcon utes of the 90;s are anymore rust prone than anything else

hi-ling, Aug 8, 7:53pm
Interesting that the LTSA but out a bulletin about the rust in the inner sills of the XF-_XG Utes, and of the 7 we have floating around down here, 6 have had to have major rust repairs and the 7th was written off. Put them up on a hoist and have a look underneath, the inner sills are double skinned and a real rust trap. I like the XG but wouldnt touch another one without putting on a hoist.By the way I do most of the WOFs down here so know most vehicles in town

mcwoods, Aug 9, 2:21am
thanks for the advice, just got offered a nissan navara from a family member for an amazing price! cheers guys!