V8 Exhaust

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 7, 8:44am
I brought a Land Rover 109 V8 1983 flat deck. It has a standard V8 exhaust on it with the standard 3.5 litre Rover V8.I want to really beef up the truck and make it sound a really throaty, grunty V8. Ive always admired the sound of Ford T Buckets and it doesnt matter on what the brand of V8 is in the T Bucket. They always sound great.
Does anyone know if you could make a 3.5 litre Rover V8 sound just as good like a T Bucket ! if i was to put on a whole new exhaust like a T Buckets and have nice short pipes on it and have them finish up coming out side ways in front of the back wheels under the drivers and passengers doors of the vehicle would this make any difference to the sound with shorter pipes ! Would the bigger the exhaust pipe 3 inch or so make it better along with a couple sets of cobys ! and any idea on possibilly on what all this might cost ! im open to any ideas that you might have. Thanks

treachug, Aug 7, 8:50am
Hornby Exhaust in Smarts Rd. Anyone that knows him will agree it will be a good job plus a great experience.

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 7, 8:55am
Ok cheers. I live down south i dont suppose you know of anyone down here thats as good as supposidilly your man. It wee way to go thats all to get it done. Theres heaps of Muffler repair shops down here but who knows if any of them are any better than the other.

daryl14, Aug 7, 9:45pm
You want this for show or for go!
If for go, as in going off road, you don't put exhausts out the side. you'll just squash em and then they don't work. Think it might be illegal anyway.
There will be tons of room underneath to get a three inch or whatever you want out the back.

hopie, Aug 8, 3:16am
I was alway under the impression if it is a foot past the most rear entry/exit of the car then it is fine and no cert, I.E 1foot past the rear door. And as to the "noise" are you sure you dont just want a lumpy cam!

quickstitch, Aug 8, 3:33am
3" is overkill for a 3500cc motor, a twin 2 1/2" will suffice. use straight thru mufflers, i use M&H or forza-flow, cheaper flowmaster copies. But the first thing you might want to look at is a set of headers then work backwards from there.

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 8, 7:06am
No for on road.

treachug, Aug 8, 7:34am
Sorry, no, I dont know of anyone down there.maybe ring Roy McDonalds in Dunedin! Dont have the number! Neither do I but google does.lol

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 8, 7:40am
Cheers. Is he good at what he does ! Id go through to Duners to get the job done

patiki1, Aug 8, 7:45am
You need to drop the pipe(s) before the diff and when its WOF time bolt up the last muffler(pipe) up.

morrisman1, Aug 8, 7:52am
I just checked that side exit law, seeing thats what I have on my car in the mean time and there was nothing in the VIRM exhaust section to suggest that you are not allowed a side exit. All it states is that the exhaust system must be designed to direct gases away from the vehicle's occupants

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 8, 8:06am
Cheers for clarifying it up. Because thats what i want to do is the side exit thing and take it up to the loudest, gruntyiest sounding V8 around that is going to sound wicked to the maxium amount of noise im aloud legally

cuda.340, Aug 8, 8:51am
you're a bit screwed with the Rover motor as the valves are real small so it's not going to breathe much which also reduces it's output noise. 2 1/2" would be absolute maximum size pipes before you start to loose it, look for straight thru type mufflers, not the S bend as they cut back the noise heaps. if you go for a straight thru muff also fit a resonator just before the tip to get rid of the blap blap noise, it'll annoy you on long trips.

lara.in.ch-ch, Aug 8, 9:16am
Cheers for the tips. thanks