Diesel engine - quite smoky out exhaust

carl111, Sep 22, 9:47am
I have purchased a 1987 diesel Isuzu and apparently it has been sitting for 4 months. When I first drove it, it blew a lot of smoke, and kinda reduced as I drove, but did not disappear completely. I only drove it for about 15 mins. Is it likely it will get less smoky as I drive it more! Is it common that after sitting and hardly being used for 4 months, that is is very smoky! And anything I should do to maintain or give it a bit of love, to help the smoke situation! Thanks

mugenb20b, Sep 22, 10:10am
Keep driving it, replace air filter if dirty, replace fuel filter, see if it improves over the next few days.

flashgordon_nz, Sep 22, 10:43am
what colour is the smoke!

carl111, Sep 23, 6:38am
light black

intrade, Sep 23, 6:59am
if its turbo make sure the waste gate is not rusted stuck. also Diesel need a additive like chemtech or edt-winns in the fuel to prevent (ulsd-problems) google that if you dont know what it is .

easygoer, Sep 23, 9:37am

snoopy221, Sep 23, 9:44am
1987 diesel Isuzu
Year tells age-smoke colour telss mileage done by injectors that -well what is the speedo reading!

rojill, Nov 12, 3:47pm
If the vehicle emits VISIBLE smoke for more than 10 continuous seconds whilst being driven along the road, then you could end up wearing a ticket for pollution.
If smoke tends to be black -First, Check air filter, then injectors