So I took my car for a sevice today.

Page 2 / 3
rettun58, Aug 8, 7:32am
I assume being a newer car, its got all the plastic covers over the engine so hard to actually see if it is leaking without removing these.

I'd find a reputable local mechanic (non franchise) possibly referred by friends/family/colleuges and get a second opinion.

moosie_21, Aug 8, 7:40am
Someone's taking you for a ride big time.

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:45am
Kind of wondered this.but on the other hand thought if it was a reputable outfit I hoped I could trust them.

rz_zone, Aug 8, 8:02am
Try Automotive Designs, forsecond opinion. They are on Grey St.

msigg, Aug 8, 8:31am
Yea second opinion, things like brakes need to be good, trans fluid should be replaced, plugs well if they are factory ones I would leave them alone as the garage will probably put cheap ones back in and mitsi don't like them. Cooling systems hould always be flushed and new anti corrosion put in,Biggest thing causing failure in cars are trans and cooling system failures.You do need to spend some on maintenance, I would budget $800-$1200 to keep your car in good condition. couple of weeks wages,cheap insurance.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 8, 11:14am
Not a good idea to delay replacing a known weak battery in a modern car.

Low battery voltage can confuse the cars computer which is looking for a particular voltage during its diagnostic checks as a sign various components are working correctly.

Thus a weak battery can cause all manner of problems, from running and operational issues to even unnecessary and expensive diagnosis and replacement of parts which are perfectly fine.

incar., Aug 8, 12:05pm
Really! news to me

msigg, Aug 8, 7:14pm
Yes jazz is correct once they start to fail things other things can go wrong. Just not worth the hassel.

chebry, Aug 8, 7:32pm
Degrease the engine take it for a good run get it up to temperature and see how much oil is leaking dealers often call old oilstains leaks if it isnt dripping oil ignore it. Do the brakes after market at anon Mitsu garage replace all 6 plugs and get the tranny service done

kazbanz, Aug 8, 11:04pm
OP-Ignoring themoney involved it looks to me like the mechanic has done you a massive favour to be honest.
He has carefully listed all the work you have coming up in the future to take care of. I actually think you may have taken it entirely the wrong way.
Clearly you don't need to use that workshop but the list is invaluable.

tahnasha, Aug 8, 11:17pm
I hate when these places try and rip women off.I have a 2006 Commodore that was due for a service a couple of years ago.Rang the Holden dealership, they quoted me $500 for a full service.I rang KMart (I'm in Oz and they have mechanical over here), they quoted me $199.I went to Holden and asked for a print out of what they actually do.Then I went to KMart and did the same thing.It was exactly the same.So I booked with KMart, and then when I turned up, oh you wanted a full log book service, that's $299.When I got the car back they had a huge list as long as my arm with all the things that were wrong with it, looked like the car would literally disintergrate if I drove down the road.

So I found a local mechanic and asked him to check all the things that were suppose to be wrong with it.He did it for free.He said KMart do this all the time, there's absoluately nothing wrong with your car.Well guess where I go to get my Services now, and he only charges me $150 for a full service.

Go get a second opinion, I'm glad I did.

elect70, Aug 8, 11:44pm
Got to realise its a dealersothe chargeshave to cover dolly bird receptionist ,service manager& bossessalaries .Get mobile mech anic to call around &have a look, that way arent paying dealers overheads . Must have had hard life& never servicedto need all that done .

usdefault, Aug 8, 11:45pm
You don't have one of those Jesus fish stickers on your car do you OP!

hopie, Aug 8, 11:48pm
it's a rip - go elsewhere.

bonnie1970, Aug 9, 4:05am
Thanks everyone you have all be really helpful.I'm going to get my car looked at by someone else just for a second opinion on the jobs as well as the price (should be interesting).I'll come back and let you know how I got on.

nzdoug, Aug 9, 4:13am
+1
If you have followed regular maintenance these things wouldnt happen.
Have you!

shorebee, Aug 9, 4:16am
GTV nice car :). cambelts and back plugs are deep in those things and we did the plugs, pump and cam for $1200. brake parts are expensive for rotors though supercheap have good aussie ones. maybe buy the neccessary parts and have the local garage install. trans service is essential and prob mitsi are ideal for that part of it in case it goes pear shaped. battery may just be weak or if 6 years old if original and may let you down in the future but you can time some of these things as car is prob worth 6-8k now so decide to spend the money or use it towards an upgrade. 380s are a good car to.

bonnie1970, Aug 9, 5:02am
I have always followed regular maintainance that's why I was so shocked, but this is the first time i've taken my car to this particular place.

bonnie1970, Aug 9, 5:06am
Thanks for this.I don't really want to take on paying a vehicle off so even if all this does need doing it's still less than a new car i guess and I wouldn't know if i'll end up with all this to be done on another car.It's rather disappointing at how much value a new car loses isn't it.

richardmayes, Aug 9, 5:39am
As unbeatabull (#16) explained, some of these jobs are labour-intensive and require a lot of the plumbing on top of the engine to be removed in order to get down to the work site, fix the problem item, and re-assemble.

Power steering fluid flush and transmission fluid flush would be money well spent even at that price.

Big V6 cars usually have big brakes, so I would expect the brakes to cost a bit more than they would on a bare minimum car like a Corolla or a Civic.

You could defer the battery until the current one actually fails. I guess it depends on how much you value your time waiting for the AA.

johnf_456, Aug 9, 8:49am
Get a second or even 3rd opinion.

hollyshaw, Aug 9, 9:26am
I'm guessing some of the reported items needing attention is different people's opinion, on what standard the car should be at.
Eg, powersteering fluid, local garage may decide its fine till next time and not report it, dealership might say it needs doing now, different standards.

Just an idea on what might be going on.

zephyrheaven, Aug 9, 9:39am
Talk to NASA

Those Rocket covers cost a bomb

Ang on

You believe in gOd but you dont believe your mechanic!

Ha

I like the way this is going

bonnie1970, Aug 9, 10:14am
Yep always a wanna be comedian has to come along.I've not said I don't believe my mechanic I have said I was shocked and wondered if it was all they said it is.As a woman on my own I think i'm quite entitled to ask for opinions before handing over my hard earned cash.And YES I do believe in God! Does that make me a lesser person!You sure aren't a very good ad for your wee business you're running down there with your less than pleasant attitude towards a woman.

bonnie1970, Aug 9, 10:14am
Yep always a wanna be comedian has to come along.I've not said I don't believe my mechanic I have said I was shocked.As a woman on my own I thik i'm quite entitled to ask for opinions before handing over my hard earned cash.And YES I do believe in God! Does that make me a lesser person!You sure aren't a very good ad for your wee business you're running down there with your less than pleasant attitude towards a woman.