So I took my car for a sevice today.

Page 1 / 3
bonnie1970, Aug 8, 6:58am
cost me $300 and they presented me with a list of supposed work I need doing:
Rocket cover and gaskets leaking oil and as well as spark plug tube seals .price to replace $503.00
Front bank spark plugs replacing.price $90.00
Front break pads and disc rotrs worn and need replacement (front discs are at 22.4mm).cost $520.00
needs clloing system flush and antifreeze renewal.cost $130.00
Renewal of break fluid (moisture content found.cost $75.00
Full transmission flush (fluid is highly contaminated).cost $380.00
Full powersteering flush (fluid id highly contaminated).cost $75.00
Also they have told me I need a new battery at the cost of $212.00 (news to me)
This all seems very extreme to me.My car is a NZ new Mitsi 2006.I'm a woman on my own and i'm wondering if they're taking me for a ride.What are others opinions!

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 6:58am
cost me $300 and they presented me with a list of supposed work I need doing:
Rocket cover and gaskets leaking oil and as well as spark plug tube seals .price to replace $503.00
Front bank spark plugs replacing.price $90.00
Front break pads and disc rotrs worn and need replacement (front discs are at 22.4mm).cost $520.00
needs cooling system flush and antifreeze renewal.cost $130.00
Also they have told me I need a new battery at the cost of $212.00 (news to me)
This all seems very extreme to me.My car is a NZ new Mitsi 2006.I'm a woman on my own and i'm wondering if they're taking me for a ride.What are others opinions!

jason18, Aug 8, 6:59am
Get a second opinion is the best way to see.

jason18, Aug 8, 7:00am
You could get a cheaper battery at super cheap or similar

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:01am
That is $1773.00 without the battery.My electric window isn't working and they say it needs a replacement regulator wire at the cost of $660.00 (Labour included).

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:02am
The battery doesn't worry me it's all the other stuff that does.

splinter67, Aug 8, 7:02am
What is your car

dasfi, Aug 8, 7:05am
a replacement regulator should be $200 max from a wrecker and an hour at the Most to install

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:06am
A Mitsubishi DiamanteNZ new 2006.only done around 120,000 ish Km's.

noppie456, Aug 8, 7:06am
no idea what car it is but the 503 and 380 sounds over the top.

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:07am
They gave me some waffel about a second hand one wont be worth it etc.all this was from the dealer too.

morrisman1, Aug 8, 7:07am
1: Seems a bit steep for new gasket, unless the rear bank is a pig to get at then it could be labour intensive. Your later post suggests this is a front wheel drive v6 - mitsi 380 maybe!

2: That is a horrendous price for new pads and rotors. Rotors are normally up to around $100 a piece, pads around $80 a set. A competent mechanic would knock that job out in 30 mins too. $520 is far too much

3: Cooling system flush, well they probably mean a drain and refill. Thats a 20 minute job with $50 materials involved.

4: Brake fluid for that is around $20 max, with a labour time of around 30 minutes

5: Transmission flush, well that might be about right provided they replace the filter

6: Power steering flush could be about right if they do a 'flush' instead of a drain and replace. Fluid is around $15 a litre for P/S fluid, which is often the same as trans fluid

7: Battery, well you dont need one untill its gives up the ghost and you have trouble starting. Winter is coming to an end so if your battery lasted through winter, it will probably last till next winter

Yes I think you are being taken for a ride. What company and branch are you dealing with!

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:10am
Thanks for all that.I'm dealing with the Mitsubishi dealer I purchased it though6 yrs ago in the Lower North Island.

tuttyclan, Aug 8, 7:11am
Who gave you the quote,was it Mitsubishi as Franchise dealers often charge more than the local garage.I would get a second opinion but to be fair when did the car last have a full service ie not just oil and filter.The items mentioned above if they are ignored will end up costing more in the long run if not maintained.

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:13am
It was about 3000k's overdue since it's last full service at a different garage and no one said anything about all this then.Yes today's quote was from the Mitsi Franchise:(

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:13am
It was about 3000k's overdue since it's last full service at a different garage and no one said anything about all this then :(

brokebloke1, Aug 8, 7:16am
please please please take your car to another garage and get a second opinon, as what "tuttyclan" said if these problems do exist then they will cost you dearly in the future.

unbeatabull, Aug 8, 7:17am
If it's a V6 then a lot of that is labour intensive jobs. All the intake etc would have to be removed for access to the rear bank for the rocker cover gasket, plug seals etc.

However, if you want to take it somewhere else. The dealer has just listed stuff that needs doing - it is your decision to do it. I'd prioritise what needs doing from what is recommended. Things like oil leaks, well if it doesn't leak enough to go below low on the dipstick between services probably isn't as urgent brakes being worn and needing replacing.

$530 isn't OTT for front rotors and pads at genuine dealer cost. Someone could do it cheaper, but it will be aftermarket stuff which sometimes is as good and sometimes isn't. I'd say $150 ea for a rotor is reasonable assuming they aren't slotted/drilled and up to $120 for a set of pads, which leaves around an hours worth of labour to go to $530 which is reasonable.

unclejake, Aug 8, 7:18am
I say:
- They did a lot of checking for $300. Great result.
- Most of that stuff can be defered, but the trans fuild and rocker cover gaskets are probably the most important. Brakes next
- The rear rocker cover will probably need the injection system removed. It is a great time to fit new spark-plugs
-You don't need the dealer to do any of it. You will probably get it cheaper elsewhere

P.S. The things that slow you down are brakes, not breaks

P.P.S: The hassle with the rocker cover leaks is that the oil drips onto the starter motor and will stuff it in the end. I figure the plug stem leaks could introduce a miss-fire, but I don't actually know. Regardless - none of it is super urgent, but if the trans gets cooked it will be a major

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:19am
Thanks everyone I think i'll get a second opinion.I think it is a V6.It says here on the paper its a Mitsi GTV.

ceebee2, Aug 8, 7:21am
I assume its a V6 Mitsi.I have replaced many Mitsi window regs and they are expensive if you go genuine.however shop around as I did and saved my customer several hundred dollars for this jpb. From memory the AA sell after market regs for those. As for the rest of your service items, have they ever been done before and what parts were fitted. I am sure you keep your receipts as most customers do. Cross check. Get a family member to assist with sorting out what has already been done. I personally think this garage saw you coming. Get another garage to "go over" your car to assess and give a written quote on service items. Do not tell them what the other garage has dredged up. Incidentally you do not only replace one set of spark plugs in a V6 because it is extra work to remove the injection manifold to access the rear ones.

rettun58, Aug 8, 7:22am
Without knowing exactly what car you have it is hard to say.
I'll break it down and see if im on the right track.

If the rocker cover gaskets need replacing because they're leaking it depends on the engine and due to the "front bank" comment I am going to assume its a front wheel drive v6 motor!This can be quite labour consuming due to the intake comming over the rocker covers in most cases.Does the car drop oil on the ground when parked! Does it use any oil between services!

If you decided to do the rocker cover gaskets, you might as well do the rear bank sparkplugs at the same time due to labour for when you need to do them next time.

Spark plugs, if they are platinum then price is ok as they are meant to be good for 100,000km. Cost upwards of $25 each retail.

Brake disks/pads - call an automotive supplier eg repco/BNT Automotive and ask for a price see if it is much cheaper! They could give a price when you tell them what car you have.

The rest of it wont be too far off the average price to be honest, now weather the car actually needs all of this work done is the other question.Post's like this make me so glad I maintain my own cars =)

Mind if I ask what mechanic you took the car too!

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:22am
Thanks.and sorrys about the typos, hard to concentrate with 2 rugs rats in the background.
Appreciate everyone's input.My late husband was a mechanic and he would have probably passed out with reading all this.

tuttyclan, Aug 8, 7:25am
If it was me I would only worry about the following work to be done.As the the front brake pads and rotors unless your brakes are wobbling through the steering wheel on braking I would wait until they start to sqeak,which will be the warning the pads are low (brakes have a low brake pad warning indicators which are audible when the pads are low but make sure when this happens the pads are done right away or there will be damage to the disks.
needs cooling system flush and antifreeze renewal.cost $130.00
And get spark plugs done too as dirty/worn ones cause the car to consume more fuel.

bonnie1970, Aug 8, 7:26am
See that's the thing it's never used oil or leaked it.I took it to the dealer in Palmerston North.