Hi Jazz, got a sec?

saxman99, Aug 2, 2:56am
Been casting around looking at various hatchbacks for my wife.Have come across a few VW Polo which look like good value.I know you've said in the past some are great and other models not so much, can you please give a guide on this!The Mark3 Facelift 6N2 seems a good place to start - yea or nay!Would be looking for a manual one.I am an enthusiastic amateur DIYer on my cars so I usually do my own repairs etc.Cheers mate.

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 3:05am
Sorry to barge in, but with my first hand experience with the Polo I would AVOID. The late 90s/early 2000s models seem to be the worst with all sorts of issues.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 6:18am
As Phillip said, the Polo is not VW's finest moment. Not as bad as some make them out to be but there are better hatches around IMO. The exception to the rule is the current model Polo which is fantastic.

The Golf may be a consideration depending on engine combination etc and there are a few other bargain hatches that spring to mind.

What's your budget if you don't mind me asking!

saxman99, Aug 2, 7:12am
Thanks for that, will keep scouting around I guess.That Citroen is different/cool.not enough doors on it however.We have been looking at Pugs also which are the same as Citroens.

Budget is somewhere around 5~7k.

Parameters from the wife: (and me, a bit.)

Must not be white or silver or any colour deemed "nana-ish"
Must have 5 doors
Must be manual
Must be NZ New
Must not be Japanese (nothing wrong with them, just don't want one, that's all)
Must have a reasonable amount of zip.Nothing crazy, a 1.6 will probably do it.1.8 would be better.
Must not be a Punto (sorry Jazz it's not personal I promise.)
Must have ABS
Must have 2+ Airbags
Must be in good nick, small imperfections or minor repairs are OK.

Piece of cake, right!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 7:25am
If you have some patience. sure!

Some idea's are:

Stilo 1.8 (With some Caveat's, if you are interested we can go into this)

MK4 Golf with the 1.8 Twin cam.

Golf GTI MK4 (Possibly even a really mint low km MK3, if you don't mind a dated look, the drive makes up for it)

Alfa 147 (maintenance is a bit higher but lovely car and not as absurd as you might think, another one to have a chat about so you know what you are in for if you like it)

BMW Mini. yes I have seen tidy base models go as cheap as 7K. That said you need to be patient and quick on the trigger when the time comes.

Peugeot/Citroen in manual. yes possibly. I find them a bit more fiddly to work on at times and parts are not as easy/cheap as VW/Fiat/Alfa but they are O.K and possibly this is where some good bargains are.

More ideas to come if I think of any.

Oh and be very careful judging these cars by CC rating, actual performance varies wildly.

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 7:33am
Hyundai Getz would tick most those boxes, and you would be able to get something much newer/lower kms than the rivals with change left over from your budget!

Yes I'm serious.

saxman99, Aug 2, 7:53am
Cool thanks. Some food for thought there.

I am aware of cc ratings not being the only indicator of performance.In reality my daily drive is a shade under 300bhp so I realise a 1.6 hatch is unlikely to blow my socks off.