VW Golf Mk4

richardmayes, Aug 2, 6:38am
The high beam headlights on this model are very good.

I know this because the 'tard owner of one of these vehicles just followed me all the way from Kelburn out to Karori with his high beams on. Blissfully unaware. (S)he must have thought I was talking to someone else, when I leaned out the passenger window and shouted TURN YOUR LIGHTS DOWN!

Apparently VWs don't have a giant blue "hey 'tard your full beams are on" warning light on the dash like proper Japanese cars have.!

steve-007, Aug 2, 6:40am
I take it you weren't driving!

kazbanz, Aug 2, 6:44am
or RM it could have a dicky high beam switch

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 6:49am
Is this the extent we go to, in an effort to discredit VW now!

lllllllll - there is a nice bunch of straws for you to grasp richardmayes, clearly you are in need of some.

flack88, Aug 2, 6:56am
Happens all the time now days think, alot people cant drive within there dip beam,on open road a car coming toward you on a corner,you dip lites and you know they stil on high,but they dont dip till they have blinded you ,overhead cab mounted driving lites on a Scania does the trick usually !

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 7:02am
Actually this dosn't surprise me. I have bought a couple of cars in recent history with the high beam set dangerously low. I myself have just about been forced to leave the lights on high until I could get somewhere to adjust them.

I suspect there are a few muppets around who can't use a beamsetter.

With regard to cars with poor high beam indicators on the dashboard. Its actually Citroen in my experience who are a problem. On some models not only do they have the stupidity to have a similar light for both high and low, but they hide these lights so they are completely obscured by your right hand on the steering wheel.

The french do seem very good at getting little common sense things horribly wrong sometimes.

richardmayes, Aug 2, 7:11am
Well the Golf was moving, so this story kinda disproves those theories that all VW gearboxes are rubbish.

gammelvind, Aug 2, 7:11am
Just wondering, do the VW's that come in still have lenses set up for left hand drive! If so this could also explain the problem.
Not a great VW fan myself but saw a late model VW scirocco today, that was a cool looking car.

flack88, Aug 2, 7:13am
Yeah your rite their .Euros tend to have better lites in my experience ,BMW have that heightadjuster,for lites even on the older ones,copped a full beam from an Audi or VW suv ,with those xenon blue or whatever ,was like welding flash,had to pull ova to get the peepers to readjust !

richardmayes, Aug 2, 7:14am
I dunno.

But I DO know the Germans never remember to change the parking lights over on their RHD cars. How often do you see a VW or a BMW parallel parked at night, with the LEFT HAND side light and tail light glowing to make sure that the car won't get sideswiped by a passing PEDESTRIAN!

gammelvind, Aug 2, 7:19am
My old merc had them, but you could switch whichever side on that you wanted, are you sure that the bmw etc are just muppets and haven't a clue!

sas777, Aug 2, 7:21am
Mmm, I reckon this is because the owner doesn't even know they have a single park light, and have left the indicator flashing, then turned off the ignition.

saxman99, Aug 2, 7:21am
On all the ones I've used the driver sets which side they want when they turn it on.

sas777, Aug 2, 7:25am
All those cars are built with a choice of left or right parklight, irrespective of the sale destination country, so you can park on either side of a one-way street.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 7:31am
incidently Im noticing more and more that toyotas are coming in with an adjustment on the dash for the headlights. Trouble is rather than having the beam set correctly with the switch in the middle of 5 possible settings its set at the bottom setting.