The new way to buy cars

Page 1 / 2
bastardsquad, Jul 31, 5:09am
Look at Trademe, select car. Txt owner, first contact, ask "wats ur lwst price". Offer WAY less than the advertised price. Make an appointment to view the car, dont show up.

Does no one view/drive a car then make an offer based on the inspection these days!

curlcrown, Jul 31, 5:11am
I find it usefull to talk about price first. If you can't agree onn price there is no point spending any time looking at the car. It wastes both parties time.

bastardsquad, Jul 31, 5:20am
You can't agree on a price for a car you havent seen or driven though, you have no idea what you are offering money on, based on pictures and a brief blurb! So if you offer X amount, view, then are disppointed in what you see, are you still committed to your offer! Waste of the seller's time.

austingtir, Jul 31, 8:37am
Well if the seller only gives a brief blurp they are going to have to put up with time wasters.

aragorn2003, Jul 31, 8:39am
If he offered way less , I wouldn't have let him view the car.

Oh and to answer your question. I usually throw a figure out there based on the perceived blurb condition and pics , obviously this would change if in real life the car was a bomb . I do it so I know what I have isn't wasting the sellers time and my petrol.

On a side note. Just sold a rolling body , the amount of stup1d offers you get is amazing . Had over 100 watchers only got txted maybe 10-15 times and 90% of them made me wonder about evolution.

bastardsquad, Jul 31, 8:59am
Strangely enough the 'how low will you go' people never show up anyway, online tyre kickers. Safe to assume the price the seller will accept is the asking price minus a bit to ensure a sale, surely, and asking prices normally reflect this. eg: ask $10,500 would probably accept $10,000, ask $2200 would let go for about $2000.

aragorn2003, Jul 31, 9:06am
Yeah I never ask nor reply to 'how low will you go', the answer is always not low enough for you.

Yeah definitely there is room to move but not ridiculous amount , this is if the car is priced in the right bracket of course (you get these cars that are WAY over priced)

But maybe if the car has been on here awhile they might let it go for a little less then you may think. Or they have just been handed a massive vet bill or something lol , there can be factors that mean a lower offer may be accepted. But generally what you stated is right.

ralphdog1, Jul 31, 9:07am
I have used the approach "I have $xxxxxx dollars max to spend, is it worth me coming and having a look or would we be wasting each others time!:
At least it is up front, and does not have appeared to have offended anyone yet.

amberjandal, Jul 31, 9:25am
The internet has changed things , if your car is to pricey no one looks at it , so you price it well and every plonka wants to offer you thousands below your advertised price. Demand is strong for the right car so lots of those time wasters miss out on the good cars because they spend too much time trying to haggle.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 2:42am
Guys my standard reply to those people is to ask what they are offering to pay today to own the vehicle. Its a it to the point but it fairly quickly eliminates the wasters from genuine buyers.

shorebee, Aug 1, 2:56am
and the reverse is also true, ive been offerd more as a tardein 18-21k so retail 23-25k than cash buyers 16-17k so now open market $1 reserve and see what happens. check out my listing and tell me what you think it will go for

bastardsquad, Aug 1, 6:52am
Yeah I never ask nor reply to 'how low will you go', the answer is always not low enough for you. Yeah definitely there is room to move but not ridiculous amount , this is if the car is priced in the right bracket of course (you get these cars that are WAY over priced)
Answered one txt with,"whats your best offer!" response "hv 2 hr frm u fst m8".*facepalm*. When selling, I always try to price 'about right' to stimulate interest, overpricing means fewer people will consider your listing.When 2 in 10 viewers add to watchlist at 200 views after listing for a couple of days, youre priced about right surely!
I have used the approach "I have $xxxxxx dollars max to spend, is it worth me coming and having a look or would we be wasting each others time!: Polite, and you speak English. Selling the Mrs car(on her TM acct) 3 months ago however, experienced quite a number of keen buyers expressing their $3-4K 'budget' for a car that sold for $6200

bastardsquad, Aug 1, 7:18am
The internet has changed things , if your car is to pricey no one looks at it , so you price it well and every plonka wants to offer you thousands below your advertised price.
Couldnt agree more.
Guys my standard reply to those people is to ask what they are offering to pay today to own the vehicle. Its a it to the point but it fairly quickly eliminates the wasters from genuine buyers.
Didnt work ! Back to the OP, the internet has changed the way people shop for cars, sniper txts with cheeky low offers followed by no contact seems to be the norm.i'm just venting really.teach me for selling a cheap car !

phillip.weston, Aug 1, 8:21am
if they can't even pay for a phone call to even talk to you I would say they can't even afford the car full stop and are trying to get a $2200 car for $1000. I say ignore them and move on.

tigra, Aug 9, 7:45am
These "Whats your lowest Dollar" enquiries are generally just a total waste of time. My reply is how much do you have to spend! Funny but i only ever get about 1 reply out of 20 such enquiries. However if you are living 100's of km away its worth asking to find out if you are both looking at the same page - to justify the trip.

jmma, Aug 9, 7:50am
Chickened out(o:

shorebee, Aug 9, 11:11am
actually traded it in for 20k on my dream car, pointless giving it away when someone can see its real value, everyone here had there chance and gave up about 17k,

shorebee, Aug 9, 11:12am
i did find out from a reputable dealer who recognised what a great example it was and was happy to pay good money as a trade.

thunderbolt, Aug 9, 7:41pm
200 trades over 8 years and now you have proven you are a dishonest trader.
You entered a legal contract with the highest purchaser which you have broken.

kcf, Aug 9, 8:02pm
Stupids texts just get deleted, no point in giving them the chance to waste my time.

shorebee, Aug 9, 9:44pm
Hhhm, 92 bids and no questions. i spoke with the highest bidder and he is trading his car at the car yard where i traded in so we both get what we want. nothing dishonest about it, its my car to do what i please and i cannot help it if buyers dont participate till the last 6 hours, given all of the comments suggest no one would spend a considerable amount of money without viewing they didnt come so perhaps the same could be said for some buyers. anyways it wasnt ideal to pull at late notice but it was 6 hours prior and i did check to ensure i wasnt breaching any trademe regulations.

kcf, Aug 9, 10:16pm
I'd always thought that it was in the terms and conditions that you could not withdraw an auction early!

triumphv8, Aug 9, 10:22pm
shorebee - your story does not stack up. @ 1.12pm on aug 9th damfan had not bid on the auction before - then 4 minutes later you withdraw the auction with damfran leading. How in less than for minutes did you get in contact with the "leading bidder!"

d.laidlaw, Aug 9, 10:43pm
Did you read the Ts and Cs when you listed!

triumphv8, Aug 10, 12:15am
shorebee must still be composing his answer to this great question.