Hot laps - self drive or passenger?

Page 1 / 2
rowlf, Jul 31, 8:43pm
Hi, I am thinking of buying my husband a voucher for hot laps for his birthday, I see you can either have a professional driver or self drive, I can't decide which would be a better experience, I am figuring that the professional will be able to throw the car around at speeds DH wouldn't, but then again driving would be cool too. Which would you consider the better experience! Thanks.

friendly_prawn, Jul 31, 9:20pm
personally, if I'm not driving, I'm not going.

shelleigh, Jul 31, 9:23pm
You big chicken Fishy!
I'd love to have a professional driver take me for a spin.

rowlf, Jul 31, 9:27pm
Dammit, one each way, I need a clear majority!

turton, Jul 31, 9:31pm
if he's never been in a fast car before, then get him the passenger one. If he's a bit of a petrol head then get the driving one.

splinter67, Jul 31, 9:35pm
Drive it I know a few people that have and they still talk about it a couple of years later

esprit, Jul 31, 10:27pm
If you're driving, other than the odd squirt in a straight line they don't let you push the car at all. Riding along, they might throw it around a bit more.

I'd go with the drive myself, but I'd get kicked off for pushing a bit harder than they deem suitable :P

friendly_prawn, Jul 31, 10:34pm
Chicken! lol
Gee, I was thinking having some one drive me around would take all the fun out of it.Im mad enough behind the wheel of a car and would have no problems scaring the crap out of myself. Dont need some one else to do that for me. lol
Hmm, but I guess it would be interesting (and probably scarey) to experience a car pushed to its real limits.
Still, I would still rather be driving it myself. I love driving and just couldnt bring my self to let some one else behind the wheel when i could be driving it myself.

friendly_prawn, Jul 31, 10:36pm
haha second that.
I think I would be kicked off the first corner if its true your not allowed to push them.
Why would anyone pay to be a passenger or to just drive the car passively.

hey anyone want to get scared being a passenger of a car, pay me.
Not sure how safe you'll be, but you'll be scared.Acutally not sure how safe I would be too. Got to be fun when even the driver cant trust himself to get it right.

mdread, Jul 31, 10:43pm
i would get the self drive for him as you often get taken for a blat by the driver after you have done your driving anyway. i did the rally drive nz few years back and it was good. i do a bit of classic racing now and you just cant beat driving yourself. its all over too quickly especially if someone else is driving

shelleigh, Jul 31, 10:45pm
I'd love to take one of those cars for a lap Fishy but would be more worthwhile having a professional drive it while I "enjoyed" the ride.
Wonder if any of those places let you do both!

friendly_prawn, Jul 31, 10:47pm
some one posted above you can drive then get taken for a spin. Now that would be cool.
I guess if your a sedate driver then being taken for a ride would be best.
But if you love the feel of getting the car sideways, if you love doing roundy roundy's and happys, if you love going mental in a car, then you just gotta be driving it your self.

mdread, Jul 31, 10:54pm
and just remember if you crash it you pay! that was in the back of my mind doing the rally drive at maramarua, but i guess it added to the excitement haha
although if you are looking into a track experiance like at taupo or hampton you would be pretty unlucky to have a major off at the speed he will be doing

friendly_prawn, Jul 31, 10:57pm
hmm, that kinda puts a different slant on things.

mdread, Jul 31, 10:58pm
yea but what a rush! :)

thinking back i remeber being upgraded from a mirage to a evo because one of the mirages got written off into a tree a week or two earlier.

but as i said i wouldnt think twice about doing it on a track, a lot more forgiving when you go off

timmo1, Jul 31, 11:10pm
The FreemanX packages include a couple of hot laps in an EVO10 with a professional driver anyway so I would go with the drive option. As mentioned, they don't let you really push it but it's still a pretty cool experience.

darryl, Jul 31, 11:22pm
I've done the FreemanX V8 hotlaps at Hampton Downs. Most fun you can have with your pants on.

Self drive definately if he's a car guy.

countrypete, Jul 31, 11:28pm
Back in the '80s I was selling new Toyotas.When the new Corona was launched they took all dealership sales staff to a track and let us loose for two (or was it three) laps.I was at Manfeild.Of course, you believe you are a "hot" driver, and pretty damn quick!Then, we got to drive as passenger with a "real" driver - in my case it was Brett Riley.It was a very impressive experience and taught me lots.I do consider myself a good driver, but that's probably just vanity.

For a hot lap in a performance car, I would go for the passenger option - it will be quicker, and you will get a better perspective of what the car can do.Best would be a drive, then to be driven.

chebry, Jul 31, 11:53pm
I did the race car drive at Taupo only on the short circuit great fun do it if you can I did the V8 experience but there is an open wheel option.

tigra, Aug 1, 12:22am
Open wheeler .only way to go, just hope it wasnt a F Vee.

esprit, Aug 1, 12:55am
To give some perspective:

Here's the kinda driving they let you do on a drive day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=hC198FdiFDo And here's how a fairly similar car does when it's actually let off its leash somewhat: http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=LU5sysQgf4c

rowlf, Aug 1, 12:55am
Think I am leaning towards the self drive, he is definitely a car guy, Was thinking something like this http://www.totalexperience.co.nz/driving-experiences/lamborghini-murcielago-drive-experience-hampton-downs-auckland/181475/ do you think that is a good option, or would one of the other cars be better! Thanks for all your help, I am a little clueless!

friendly_prawn, Aug 1, 1:17am
Damn your hubby is one lucky guy.
Do me a favour will yah and ask him how some one manages to find an awesome gal just like you.

oh if your reading this wifey, it's not that Im looking. Just curious, thats all. lol

rowlf, Aug 1, 1:22am
Being pretty damned awesome himself is probably what does it!

friendly_prawn, Aug 1, 1:28am
yeah, wellthat dont work for me.