Two new tyres on front or back

Page 5 / 5
the-lada-dude, Jul 29, 8:37pm
why don,t you put a new tyre at either cnr of the vehiclethen everyone will be happy

splinter67, Jul 29, 8:39pm
Yep a new steering wheel and a new spare that will fix the problem LOL

thunderbolt, Jul 29, 8:47pm
Ok, three pages in and the opinion is clear, we all have different ideas on which option is better.

To summarize, if you decide to fit only two new tyres to your FWD/RWD/4WD vehicle, then you may as well start driving drunk, sharing needles and playing Russian roulette with your colt 45, because you are clearly going to oversteer/understeer to an early grave.

sr2, Jul 29, 9:10pm
A blowout in one front tyre does not necessarily make a vehicle uncontrollable; having the other front wheel being able to compensate for the loss of control provides a considerable safety advantage. In nearly two decades of building and running race cars I??

splinter67, Jul 29, 9:17pm
racecars are driven by people that can drive most on the road are driven by people that are steerersdrivers who have no idea what to do in a blowout situation and yes if you are going to muck it up there is allways a crowd to watch you

richardmayes, Jul 29, 11:06pm
What a stupid comment.

I was there, I was driving the car, what I said happened, did happen, I am not talking about a computer simulation, and I am not telling lies to try to impress anonymous people on the internet.

FYI I don't consider myself an exceptional driver, and the car was an old English Triumph from the 1970s on 185/80 R13s , and we were going at a sensible speed on (but not over) the 80km/h speed limit.

Many years later I had a rear tyre fail on the same car while going around lake Taupo (for a while available tyres in that size were VERY poor Korean made rubbish.)
Now THAT was a scary moment, I got all kinds of crossed up trying to keep her pointed straight long enough to slow down and get off the road. I felt like I earned my weet-bix as a driver that day.

bellky, Jul 29, 11:16pm
Yeah, nah, best tyres on front.

splinter67, Jul 29, 11:25pm
Why is that a stupid comment 2 people lost there lives that day get real I was actually giving you a compliment wont do that again

friendly_prawn, Jul 29, 11:31pm
Good tread is over rated.
Easier to do skids with bald tyres.

nicolag, Jul 31, 6:30am
Check out this link its tells the story http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=--Hb5kQCaTg
highest performing tyres to rear regardless of fwd or rwd,4wd should be replacing all four at once and rotating them every 10000k so they all wear evenly.Tyre manufacture does not matter,Also I think they have spent many more billions on Research and development than any of us