Advice on lifting/loading car on truck tail lift?

Page 1 / 2
splinter67, Jul 28, 6:28am
Sorry but I Think that will f#@$ your tail lift. Try and find a loading Bank

johnf_456, Jul 28, 6:36am
Careful with that language post 2

austingtir, Jul 28, 6:39am
So what your saying is the rear wheels are going to overhang the tip of the lifter by 700mm give or take!So you want to clamp a bit of wood to support the rear wheels while lifting and lowering!

If thats the case. i would say no dont to that.Get some steal atleast i would even weld two pieces box section to the underneath of the lifter so you can slide a smaller piece of section through them to support the rear wheels.Atleast 50x50 x6 with plates for the tyres.To be doubly safe you could even have upright rhs with holes and sprung pins so as to bring it down in sections so if something fails its not a disaster.

If your car falls off while lifting you'll be pretty disapointed in the result.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 6:40am
love the honesty!
It had crossed my mind. But i have the truck, and it sure beats towing/borrowing a trailer! LOL

Loading bank would be ideal, but aren't everywhere.

austingtir, Jul 28, 6:43am
From memory most racetracks i have been to actually have some sort of loading bank nearby.Or something thats close enough.

mrmann, Jul 28, 6:43am
Best option would be loweringing tail lift out of way and a set of long aluminum loading rampssafer and cheaper as the weight would be too far back

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 6:44am
Yes, and no. i don't want to add to the tail lift. i realize that whatever i do would have to sit the full length of the tail -lift, to the weight of the race car at the front will help hold the planks, (or steel) down, along with having a suitable clamping area at the front.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 6:46am
wondered that. car is at the dyno at the moment, but am keen to measure wheelbase again, and ground clearance, to try and work out how long the ramps would have to be. limited to 5m, which is a huge span. at least this way that I'm thinking, could act as a ramp, that can be tilted. andy the weight is supported to at least 2m back.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 6:48am
rd97 - yeah, loading banks. at race tracks. actually,i rung taupo (its been 4 years since i was last there) to ask if they had a suitable unloading bank. they didn't think so, so i asked one guy i know who drifts regular over there. he knew what i was getting at, and thought i would need ramps there to get onto a lower bank by the entranceway.

snoopy221, Jul 28, 6:50am
Don't even need to look at the pics.
Simple as 2 blocks of wood at the height of the rear of the tail lift to support the weight-and 2 ramps(planks) loading on the blocks of wood.
Of Course the perfect solution ya need is simply 2 small ramps with basiacly 2 asxle stands on the tail lift end!KAPEESH!

austingtir, Jul 28, 6:50am
Yes super long and strong steel ramps you can use the tail lift to put them in place.Does anybody make aluminium ones that would be suitable for this!They would have to be pretty serious, expensive and long to be suitable for a truck with that deck height.

splinter67, Jul 28, 6:51am
All the ones Ive seen used are bigger than yours the ones that go to the top of the canopy maybe some long ramps if you bend it that means a lot of hand unloads till you can get it fixed

michelle322, Jul 28, 6:52am
1500kgs rating would be the center of the ramp,with all that overhang you would be putting a lot of strain on the ramp unless your racecar is super light.putting the end of the ramp onto a bank to support it would be ok.

smac, Jul 28, 7:01am
Mate loads a vehicle onto a truck using a tail lift: long wooden ramps from the deck to the ground, preferably raised, but not crucial. Tail lift raised enough so the trailing edge supports the middle of the ramps. Drives up until front wheels are on the deck, then raises tail lift, which raises ramps, which are now only supporting rear of car. All a bit weird and hard to explain, but works.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 7:03am
yes, indeed. even put a fergie 135 tractor on doing this.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 7:04am
bingo. i like the sound of that.how does he hold the ramps in place so they don't bugger off in the loading/unloading process! or is he relying on the gods of tail lifts to hold them there! LOL

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 7:05am
I do a lot of hand unloads each day anyway, but yeah, the tail lift is essential to my daily activities!

chris.f, Jul 28, 10:25am
I have been down the same route myself. Had same tail lift set up as OP and had a 2 tonne tail lift. I actually cut two locating slots into my tail lift and attached 6 meter ramps to get the car in but even then the angle was too great and car would bottom out. Mind you mine was a dragster and 8 metres long. Used stands under ramps mid way along ramps to support weight and as earlier poster said, once car is in partly in truck, lift tail lift and Bob's you uncle. Long steel ramps you need are bloody heavy though. i still have mine at home, no use to me now. Would post pics but not sure how!
I experimented with lots of solutions but all too hard so sold truck and when to a long split deck open trailer.

chris.f, Jul 28, 11:06am
I found a link to a pic of the ramp/tail-lift/ramp supports here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php!fbid=422552792786&set=a.422552202786.196663.90567677786&type=3&theater

Hope this helps

clark20, Jul 28, 11:24am
What we did was have chains that attached to the end of the lift to take the load, and then have ramps from there to the ground, and just have eyes in the ramp and hooks on the chain, then take them off again.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 11:46am
hey, awesome input guys.
chris.f - that looks to be a bloody awesome set up! - I'm looking at being able to load a n14 sentra, or a e39 vr4, or a cg8 imprezza.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 28, 11:55am
what are your plans for the ramps!

kazbanz, Jul 28, 7:03pm
me--I wouldt riska 10 k(or more ) tailift. end of story,^^no intent to be a nasty beggar but its your livelyhoo??

chris.f, Jul 28, 9:08pm
No plan as such, was thinking of selling the whole ramp setup but it cost about 7k to get designed and built.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 12:13am
hey sorry op-was a bit splozzled last nite. None the less the sentiment remains. No intent to sound nasty but even if the tailift is behind the cab you need to calculate lifting capacity of the lift at its stretch to the middle of the car. Also keep in mind being a race car theres the risk of it being a `crash` car -Ie still needing getting away from the track but badly bent-will your lift do it then!-again sorry if it seems harsh but ive kinda been there done that and regretted not going straight to a transport vehicle just for the racer