Swift vs Polo

Page 1 / 2
countrypete, Jul 25, 8:07am
There was a debate on here over the weekend regarding ownership costs of a new Suzuki Swift vs a new Polo.I've put some time into this (begrudgingly, as I have an actual life).I obtained a maintenance schedule for a Swift Sport CVT auto using manufacturer's recommendations for service intervals and with allgenuine parts at manufacturer's RRP, and labour at $80 plus GST per hour.

For scheduled servicing over 36 months / 45,000kms the total, including GST is $803.

I was unable to get actuals for a VW Polo, but from their website they offer a service plan for 36 months / 45,000kms for $995.

Next is depreciation costs.I checked all the 2008 Polo 1.4s on trademe.The average odo is 37k and the average asking price was $15,130.For eight random 2008 1.5 Swifts the average odo was 44k and the average asking price was $16,125.

SO.The Swift costs less to maintain, and is worth more after four years.

Tomorrow I'll find an old car mag (Perhaps I'll go to the dentist- there's bound to be a 2008 car mag on their table!) and will look up the new car pricesfor each to work out the depreciation.

Phew, I'm glad I have a real life!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 8:37am
LOL, good work countrypete, I do take my hat off to you for "doing the math" good work that man.

Realistically, there is begger all in it, for the few hundy a year difference I would happily pay the extra for the Polo. But fair call to you, technically speaking (and I am happy to take you at your word on this) the Swift is indeed slightly cheaper.

Just to add though. at 45'000km the Suzuki's CVT hasn't quite come due and given a few hundred to service (I think, I seem to recall 60'000km not 40'000km on those unlike some CVT's) which may mean the Polo comes closer to breaking even again down the track. (CVT service is usually a few hundred). Forgive me if the CVT service is already included in the price. The Polo of course has a dry clutch DSG so just like a manual transmission no costly servicing of note at all.

Another thought too.with the Polo you have the option of turning on the variable service intervals. Depending on how its driven this can almost double the service intervals, so this possibly swings things back in favour of the Polo too if you requested that.

BUT, I don't want to take away from your actually taking the time to do the due diligence. Again, certainly for the first 3 years at face value dealer servicing the Swift wins.

BTW, interesting to see the ridiculous resale value is fading on the Swift, that used to be its one and only good point. Not much in it now at all. That or the VW has improved, I suspect a bit of both.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 8:54am
So. here is my summing up on the new Swift.

Its not only a better car than the old over hyped and out dated (even when new) pile of poo. It works better on paper too.

The sport versions 100KW output for its price gives it an actual stand out point in the market too which is good as otherwise its just another barely competent contender.

For my money though, its still nearly 15 years out of date technology wise (consider it dosn't really offer any new technology over what you could getin a Mk 2 Punto of 1999, feel free to grab a piece of paper and compare for yourself).

SO. still the Polo for me (Its still technically a much better car, both on paper and in ride,technology and driving experience) but at least the Suzuki is almost a competitor and not the most stupid fashion focused sheep mentality buying decision imaginable like the old one was.

Well done Suzuki, perhaps your next Swift will be on a par with VW!

Thanks for following up countrypete.

countrypete, Jul 25, 8:59am
Alright, who's the Jazz impersonator!

fordcrzy, Jul 25, 9:00am
do the nz newcars have cvt! i thought they were standard 4 speed on the non sport models

3tomany, Jul 25, 9:00am
+1 never driven polo but when purchasing a new car a while ago swift was extremely disapointing and in my fleet at the time was a new jimney and a new sx4 from a dealer i realy wanted to buy another car of but swift sport was awefull compared to other similar cars so not even a good dealer could sell me one

countrypete, Jul 25, 9:01am
Oh, and by Suzuki's own service specs, the CVT oil is due for change at 165,000kms.

countrypete, Jul 25, 9:02am
Nope, CVT

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 9:09am
If thats the case I STRONGLY suggest not buying a CVT one, at least not until there is some history behind that particular transmission.

I say this as in general any CVT that I have come accross that tries to avoid the use of a good easily replacable filter or goes for extended service intervals has been a failure. (The classic being Honda's one as used in the Jazz, which ruined what otherwise was a good effort at a small car).

Unless Suzuki have come up with some kind of amazing new design that stops the fluid becoming filthy or a wear proof belt that is a recipe for disaster. Feel free to enlighten me if they have.

Pity, because doing away with the dreadful 4 speed was part of the new cars appeal.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 9:10am
I was actually really excited about the last model when it came out. It looked sharp and had great reviews, but like you, once I took one for a drive it was apparent within a few hundred meters that it was not up to snuff.

3tomany, Jul 25, 9:17am
and thats the point how many people buy a car without trying out other brands. all it takes some times is a good test drive that costs you nothing to reasure youreself about youre decision

countrypete, Jul 25, 9:28am
The clever technology is in the oil.

slarty45, Jul 25, 9:29am
Swift Sport 6 speed manual for non amputees

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 9:30am
How so!

Is it somehow impervious to absorbing the friction causing particles that traditionally destroy these transmissions!

I have an open mind to this but I am very suspicious and wouldn't trust one myself until it had some history behind it.

motorboy2011, Jul 25, 9:31am
I'd feel the same about buying a Polo that has had the service schedules "extended"

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 9:41am
You shouldn't. The Polo monitors how the vehicle is driven very precisely, if a car is driven hard or in city conditions it shortens the intervals. If its getting light long hot runs it lengthens it.

Its a much better system than a "one size fits all" service interval that may not be short enough for hard use and far too short for a car driven gently.

It also means you only pay for what you need.

This is VERY different to sealing a CVT transmission and leaving it to simmer in its own filth. Unlike variable service intervals which have been used successfully for around 30 years, history has not been at all kind to to CVT's with long service intervals.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 11:19am
Did a bit of poking around regarding this CVT.

It seems its a Jatco JF015E otherwise known as a Jatco CVT7.

There is next to nothing around on the net regarding service requirements and very little information on the transmission in general.

From what I can make out though it contains very little CVT fluid and dosn't appear to have a replaceable filter. This does not inspire me with confidence for longevity as its still just a belt driven CVT, I also can't see any evidence of "magical pixie dust" that will somehow make it immune to the problems other similar CVT's face.

As for some magic technology in the CVT fluid!
Can't see any mention of it anywhere, its spec'd to be refilled with a fairly common Shell CVT fluid thats compatible with many other CVT's which also makes me think there is nothing special going on there.

This transmission looks to be quite new to the market, while I have little to go on what I have seen so far does not impress me. I would love to be proven wrong and for this to have some sort of breakthrough means of longevity. However I won't be holding my breath.

Certainly at this stage I certainly wouldn't part with any of my own money for a vehicle running one of these transmissions. I say that as a fan of CVT's in small cars too. If it had the great little unit that was used in the Nissan Micra's and Fiat Punto's I would be a lot more enthusiastic.

Funnily enough that was also a Jatco unit (JF009E) but it had a good quantity of fluid and a decent big spin on replacement filter.

doug207, Jul 25, 12:31pm
The selling point for the 'Zuki is:
Cheaper to maintain.
Better value for money, for the price, the Swift out performs the same price Polo.
If price is not an issue, the GTi Polo wipes the floor with the Swift.
But, price is the issue.
Swift = cheaper across the whole range by a substantial amount, lower spec cars have more airbags than the Polo (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong), has better re-sale than a Polo, important when buying new.
"old tech". what is new Jazz! Direct injection! No. DSG! Not really. CVT, not really at all.
Service interval extension! I could do that with any of my vehicles, neat idea though.

BUT

You're all wrong, the DS3 is the coolest sub $30k new car.

berg, Jul 25, 6:28pm
Exactly. That's what our new one will be. If I want to drive lazy I will take my auto Commonwhore

slarty45, Jul 25, 9:57pm
I tempted to order a Black manual Sport today but my Black manual Vitara has only done 13 thou and want to keep it for towing boat

fordcrzy, Jul 26, 7:38am
are you 100% about that! mums 2008 swift sure drives like an auto and not a cvt

dent, Jul 26, 7:46am
Ive never seen a cvt swift. As for service intervials I dont agrree with that long between changes but BMW have for many year put big green stickers on there autos saying Life Long Fluid.

slarty45, Jul 26, 8:00am
I think the rubber band drive is the current model

countrypete, Jul 26, 8:27am
There was a new model in 2011, went to CVT then.

klrider, Jul 26, 8:17pm
There is nothing swift about a Polo.