BMW addice pls

c_h_l, Jul 23, 9:33pm
Hi

We are considering purchasing a 540i and wondered if anyone knows much about them! Are they reliable! Expensive to fix! Where are the Japanese ones assembled, is it Japan or I hear they have a plant in Singapore now!

Thanks heaps

saxman99, Jul 23, 10:29pm
What year!

Mine's been fine.

Get NZ new though, Japanese and Singapore imports often have issues with electrics and transmissions.If you are looking at one of the older ones with an M60 engine then you probably should avoid UK ones as well.There was an issue with high-sulphur fuel in the UK and the US a few years ago which shagged the M60 engines.Wasn't a problem here.

Be prepared for reasonable fuel bills.

attitudedesignz, Jul 23, 10:44pm
Ez Japan are ok, Singapore had prob's due to high humidity.
Tran's are ok, the issues were with Jatco transmissions but don't think they were in V8s.

The sulphur issue was in US only, UK cars were fine.

attitudedesignz, Jul 23, 10:45pm
Lots of advice and knowledgable people here Bimmersport.co.nz

c_h_l, Jul 24, 12:10am
The one we are looking at is 2001, done 80k, auto unless we can find a manual preferably. Thanks for the link, will check it out too

footplate1, Jul 24, 12:15am
My last four or five M3.s have been ex Japan and I had no country of source issues.Had one "Friday" car but I don't think I can blame the previous owners, though.

Bought a 5 series new, several years ago - it had 14 faults in the first 12 months.But I remain committed to the marque.

wasser61, Jul 24, 5:51am
Only a true BMW lover can say that.

mantagsi, Jul 24, 8:23am
I do remember some witty trader on the MB saying that if you can't afford a new beemer, you cant afford a secondhand one :P but I always look at the fact there are hundreds on the road, so can't be too bad. A few years back when I worked at a place that brought in imports, without fail the BMW's would always need work before they even started, every single one. After that, they never missed a beat! Dont seem to like sitting for ages. I think they are lovely cars, wouldn't half mind a nice 5 series one day. Good luck! :)

ninja_man, Jul 24, 8:41am
if it was me id stay well clear. I know a mate with one, needed a new alternator: cost $1400+ for a new one. Transmission has problems and has been quoted over 5k to fix the issue. Valve seals also needed replacing, god knows how much that cost. But if you have deep pockets then i guess they are ok cars.

murray55, Jul 24, 9:11am
Choose the best you can afford .you can normally gauge how one has been treated by how itis presented for sale. Have it checked out professionally. Above all use it frequently and fairly hard .the worst way to treat a bmw high performance salon is to leave it sitting around not being used for the purpose it was designed.

edangus, Jul 24, 9:15am
And buy a V8 one!

budgel, Jul 24, 9:24pm
If you are buying in Auckland, get it checked out by the BM Workshop at great North road Grey Lynn. They are incredibly thorough and will discuss the report with you. This can be a help when negotiating the price.

hawat, Jul 25, 5:19am
Disagree, Owned one for years, bought 2nd hand only had to replace header tank. But find a good garage. Bergers in Wairau Valley if you live in Auckland. But it does chew through the gas. All forgiven tho' when you get to a clear bit and plant foot. My old cousin was sitting in the back seat and she said 'its like a jet taking off with the background noise getting a bit louder'.
Love the car. Comfortable quiet, powerful. Will still do 255kph according to garage. Don't doubt that as I have had it a bit south of that figure but still rearing to go.

doug207, Jul 25, 1:12pm
Singapore issues are something I have not come across personally on BMWs, the average humidity isn't much different to many parts of NZ http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/forecast/new%20zealand/newzealandhumidity.html

As already said, if in Auckland, take it to BM Workshop, Glenn and his bunch are great guys.
Parts are fairly cheap, join Bimmersport if you need help

FWIW: for an E39 540i
Brand new alternator is $665 for a 150 amp one, genuine OEM Bosch item.
Can get recon 120 amp ones for $320
Not bad at all.