Why are BMW cars

Page 1 / 2
zak1998, Jul 22, 9:15am
worst on the second-hand market for developing faults.

outbidyou2, Jul 22, 9:16am
because theyre inheriently crap right from the start

motorboy2011, Jul 22, 9:18am
no more likely to get faults than any other brand I dont think

franc123, Jul 22, 9:21am
They're not designed to stick around forever, thats why.The overall standard of construction and quality of the parts used isn't any better than anything else and the main markets they sell them in (Europe/USA) consider 5yo cars out of date and 10yo ones scrap material. Theres bugger all point in making them to give 100% reliability for any longer, and even then you are lucky to get that in the first 10 years.Also the designers and engineers also tend to use complicated solutions to achieve simple things which invariably fail over time.These comments don't just apply to Beemers either.

zak1998, Jul 22, 9:25am

doug207, Jul 22, 9:30am
That is talking about the E9x series convertible, nothing else. Pointless. You'll find Range Rovers are worse for faults.
Every brand has issues.

vtecnet, Jul 22, 9:46am
My 23 Year old bmw is running fine, has cost me . next to nothing. only failure is a wheel bearing. which isn't all that surprising considering all the rough roads I have to drive on.

Of course I get it serviced every 6 Months, most people that own old cheap cars don't, they just drive them til they die.

grangies, Jul 22, 9:47am
BMW may well be seeking legal advice for that headline in the Daily Mail.

Crikey. One BMW model is rated bad and the headline curses BMW as a whole. LOL

chebry, Jul 22, 9:47am
Once out of warranty any fault with a BMW prompts a sale as the cost of parts and stealership repairs is astronomical. Good cars while the warranty lasts

jenny188, Jul 22, 9:50am
German used to stand for quality, now-days it stands for , like most continentals, recyclables. They once did 500,000 miles and now are reliable for 3 years, mostly the warranty period. Run for 5 years before developing expensive faults. But we still import them to N.Z and hope to get 20 years out of them. Sorry to have opened a whole can of worms and not trying to pick on Bm's but times are a changing (paul simon). The whole of the motoring economy are gearing themselves these days to sustainability and meeting recyclable quotas/ Governmental conditionals. We know the average motorist wins every time.

murray55, Jul 22, 9:52am
Sure BMW'shave their faults, along with every other brand. But you would have to be in total denial to not think they are a hell of a lot safer in an accident than say anything out of Japan of the same era.
I had stopped at the Lower HuttMelling lights to turn right , the driver behind was inhabiting another planet because he did not even slow before he hit me. his "explanation" was he was not concentrating and just did not see me ! Anyway after the initial explosion I got out, went round to the back of my car (E32) expecting the rear caved in .something very weird going on here because I initially could not see any damage ! His Corolla station wagon on the other hand was fit for the scrap yard .front end completely totalled. My towbar had taken the impact and slightly pushed in my rear bumper on one side.No panel damage whatsoever and only a little paint scrapping underneath.
Yes BMW's have their faults, but I know what I would rather be driving in a decent accident !

edangus, Jul 22, 9:59am
I honestly don't think they are worse than anything else I have owned, and by George I have owned a lot and a lot of varying manufacturers.
My worstcar was a one owner, low KM 1984 Laser Ghia,, always having friggin issues, but was fun to drive. And then that blimin DelSol CRX!

pebbles61, Jul 22, 10:02am
They don't make 'em like they used to lol

murray55, Jul 22, 10:08am
Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever !

incar., Jul 22, 10:42am

carkitter, Jul 22, 11:06am
Care to elaborate! As a Honda mechanic during the 90's when the Del Sol was common, I can tell you we had few if any problems with them, and I should know as my sister had one also. From memory, the drivers door handle trim was fragile and as they aged some cars had issues with an electronic sensor in the Transtop electric roof, otherwise nothing - no engine, gearbox, suspension, electrical or brake faults and no rust issues.

Incidentally, the Transtop was a JUC only feature. NZ new CRX's had manual (aluminium) roof panels removed by hand.

edangus, Jul 22, 11:16am
I think I got the 1 in 1000 that are problematic. You would no sooner fix something and something else would go. It was just a nightmare. I had a ball driving it but heck it was hard going. When I sold it, they certainly got a deal. Body was still in very good nick and was a NZ new.
Dizzy, Brakes, Box, this sender, that sensor, alternator. You just knew as soon as you opened the bonnet "something" needed to be done. However it was a damn good engine, handled like a dream and blimmin fun.

carkitter, Jul 22, 12:07pm
- Honda had an issue with ignitor modules supplied by OKI in 1992/3 these were usually replaced free under warranty with an NEC model.
- Honda brakes are superb and trouble free unless the ABS fluid changes have been neglected.
- Manual gearboxes are fine, autos fail if the fluid changes are neglected.
- Sensors and alternator failures tend to be high mileage faults - wear and tear.

edangus, Jul 22, 12:17pm
135km aint high mileage. Sure it may not have been looked after by prior owners. Hey not every car is going to be a Gem. Honda has a great product, unfortunately this specific car was not a good one.

The issues with the Laser were by far more annoying, particularily as it was a "Nothing Special" car in the first place. Not much fun, not very fast, handled very average, not convertible.

ratherbefishin, Jul 22, 3:17pm
It's justthe age old problem of service and maintenance. Look after your car and they are ALL ok. Problems I have encourtered is overheating, which can be eleviated by regularly checking coolant %, ensure that the water pump isn't noisy and keep an eye on the guages. Ensure you go to a mechanic that actually does the work for you, caring for your car is important.

elect70, Jul 23, 1:56am
Out of the 38 cars i have ownedmy current M328is by far the most reliablecar i have owned in my 50 years of drivingex boy racer & 260 K .Hadfordsholdensvaliantstoyotasnissans& mitsubishi( which was second most reliable )

tantric5, Jul 23, 4:54am
never had trouble with my 3.and I drive my car most of the day every day for business

murray55, Jul 23, 7:43am
You mean multiple air bags and a plethora of electronic driver aids .of course I am aware. I'm talking about BMW's being in general better engineered, more solid for want of a better expression.

sw20, Jul 23, 8:03am
Your tow bar saved you. The end.

murray55, Jul 23, 8:09am
Absolutely .but also the fact it was bolted to a pretty solid rear.
Any car I have bought since I'm always relieved if it has a tow bar fitted !