Transmission oil change Toyota Prius

james63, Jul 20, 10:08am
Could amechanic minded person change a 1995 Toyata Pruis transmission oil ! My son does mine but he has never done mypruis before Is thereanything that he needs to be aware of. The oil for is anywhere between $100to250. wow !

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 1:54am
There is no such thing as a 1995 Pruis. or Prius for that matter.
What year is it actually!

BTW, if you are worried about $100 to $250 for transmission oil I would suggest you sell the Prius now. they are not a car for the financially prudent. (despite many getting sucked into them on the false promises of economy).

bellky, Jul 21, 2:03am
That's^ a great help thejazzpianoma.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 2:09am
It sure is, because without the year of the Prius no one can advise properly. Especially given a 1995 year Prius dosn't even exist.

Likewise, the owner is complaining about a paltry couple of hundred for transmission oil. its only right to give them some clues as to the other costs they may come across with one of those!

My answer was as comprehensive and helpful as is possible at this point IMO. How helpful was your answer to the OP!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 2:22am
Since the trolls seem to want to pick on the only person offering any advice in this thread I will reveal a little more of my thinking in an effort to pre-empt their stupidity.

With my limited knowledge of the Prius the CVT is not really a CVT at all. its just more Toyota false advertising.

I am pretty sure all of them use much the same "state of the ark" transmission which really just needs a drain and refill to service.

However. there is a load of junk you have to remove to get in to work on it and while its definitely in the realms of a mechanically minded person they will be best served with some year specific instructions including pictures etc. Also. depending on year there are ways of doing it that don't require you to have to drain the coolant etc as advised by the official instructions.

So. hopefully it should be obvious why the short answer to begin with . what year is it!

BTW, yes I think they are a pile of over priced steaming feces, sold to the gullible masses on false advertising. Nothing more than an exercise in making a profit while duping people into thinking they will save the planet or their wallet's while taking funding away from manufacturers that actually want to develop proper fuel efficient technology.

But will I help with the OP's question. sure!

Now. if only there was an icon that dropped its trousers and mooned.

bellky, Jul 21, 4:46am
I haven't read these other posts^ but I assume they have been more helpful.

james63, Jul 21, 7:20am
OP's my mistake its a 1998

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 7:27am
I don't have a guide for the early ones. As mentioned above pretty sure its the same setup though.
So in answer to your question based on my limited knowledge of the vehicle.

1. Yes its possible
2. Most of the work is in removing unrelated parts
3. Don't attempt without a guide with some pics as to what to remove.
4. Have a surf around (try the Prius owners forums) and you are bound to find a DIY guide.
5. Be aware the guide may tell you to remove more than is needed to get the job done.
6. If you are worried about maintenance costs sell it, its well past its use by date and they are not a good car to own when they are that age.

outbidyou2, Jul 21, 10:34am
LOL, steaming faeces.classic. Your best post yet jazz

gadgit3, Jul 21, 4:07pm
How many KMs has the car travailed! The fluid change is due at 90000km intervals. If you let it go to much longer it begins to get hard on the battery state of charge. The 90's Prius is a simple trans to service as it is only a drain and refill system being a gen1 Synergy Drive (yes Jazz you are correct it's not a CVT cause it has two electric motors driving it in there lol)
The Fluid is Toyota WS.
Drain the system and measure what comes out, then refill that amount job done. There are three 24mm bungs that look like fluid drain ports Dont remove the 24mm bungs closest to the engine as these are for the trans cooling system and are full of anti freeze. if you drain that system it can be a hassle to bleed. In saying that the trans cooling system is due at 160000kms, best to get someone in the know here though.

mugenb20b, Jul 21, 7:25pm
I liked "state of the ark" better.

bellky, Jul 21, 9:34pm
I thought it was all rubbish really.

james63, Jul 22, 8:07am
Its 194070 km on the speedo. Its been a trouble free car but who knows what can happen

nzeva, Jul 22, 12:04pm
That's a lot of km's for the 'prototype' model Prius. Best to get rid of it before the dreaded Triangle of Death appears and it becomes worthless!

morrisman1, Jul 22, 12:22pm
Its almost about to break even with a normal car then

gadgit3, Jul 22, 8:17pm
Really! worthless! it's only $1400 for a replacment HV battery and ECU. And the main cause of fault is lack of trans fluid change.

smac, Jul 22, 8:24pm
Workmate has a 45 minute (each way) commute on country roads. A few years back bought an early Prius for $7k off trademe. Saved $3k a year on fuel compared to the previous Corona, sold it 3-4 ears later happy as.

gadgit3, Jul 22, 8:43pm
Yea they are alot better then some people make them out to be on fuel.
We drove one of the new Prius C from our Thames yard to our Paeroa yard roughly 40kms at open road speeds and it cost $1.60

james63, Jul 22, 10:26pm
Im a lady driver who clocks up a number of miles each week . I have found my Priusis economical on fuel and trouble free of mechanical problems.

richardmayes, Jul 22, 11:02pm
This isn't the place for an ideological discussion about Hybrid cars vs everything else.

James63 - it's probably best if your son looks it up and convinces himself he knows what to do, if he's the man who's going to be doing it.

As others have said, a lot of the modern automatic gearboxes require really gold-plated transmission fluid, especially CVT-type gearboxes. $250 is small beer compared to some!

bigfatmat1, Jul 23, 8:48am
I have a interesting paper here about the battery blades toyotas battery fault codes how the ecu determins faults and fixing batteries at a fraction of the cost .