Which way does oil filter come off please!

farnortherner, Nov 14, 9:24pm
ford falcon stationwagon, tryna take off old filter, I had car for a year, and I am having trouble getting it off, hands cant fit in underneath to have 2 hands to wind it off, but Im wondering now which way, is it clockwise as have been trying that way!

kiwicon, Nov 14, 9:25pm
normally, but if you have your new filter have a look at that.

farnortherner, Nov 14, 9:25pm
Have a strap filter wrench

farnortherner, Nov 14, 9:26pm
Must have been on for ages as its very hard to get off

tmenz, Nov 14, 9:31pm
Anticlockwise like any normal nut or bolt.
They can be a 'right pain' if you haven't got room to swing the strap wrench. I have succeeded using a big pair of polygrips to grab the filter end-on - crushing it in the process to get a good grip.
Punching a screwdriver into it and using as a lever can also work.
The most stubborn one I have done, I ended up notching a screwdriver into the rolled rim at the top and hammering it around little by little until the seal let go.

phillip.weston, Nov 14, 9:32pm
clockwise! huh!

spin it anti-clockwise! lefty-loosey righty-tighty.

farnortherner, Nov 14, 9:47pm
Oh no wonder, stupid me lol thank you guys

farnortherner, Nov 14, 9:48pm
will go have a go at the clockwise way, lol.

farnortherner, Nov 14, 9:49pm
Oh sorry the anti clockwise way

farnortherner, Nov 14, 10:31pm
dam thing aint moving at all going anti clockwise either, getting closer to just ramming the screwdriver into it soon

tmenz, Nov 14, 10:59pm
Let us know how you get on - after you've had your hand stitched and bandaged maybe!

therafter1, Nov 14, 11:07pm
Those Falcon ones can be a mongrel for tightening up . either strap type filter removal tool and muscle, or large poli grips as close to the mounting end as you can get.

farnortherner, Nov 14, 11:21pm
Yes, I think I need some muscle, but dont know anyone, lol.So this is going to take me awhile to sort out.

therafter1, Nov 14, 11:28pm
Yep, they can be unbelievably tight, even when it is a filter that you have fitted yourself and only done it up hand tight knowing that for some reason they can be difficult to remove . let only if they have been overtightened by some berk using leverage of some sort . fortunately we have a rather large set of poligrips lol

mugenb20b, Nov 14, 11:31pm
Make sure the old rubber sealing ring is not stuck to the engine before fitting new filter. Put some oil on the rubber ring of your new filter before installing it. Tighten it as much as you can with one hand.

modie61, Nov 14, 11:32pm
The sump plug thread goes the same way,left loose,right tight,but not too tighty,replace washer every time too.

drew2009, Nov 14, 11:37pm
Or try a big pipe wrench or chain grips.
DONT shove a screwdriver through it thats begging for injury.

Thats good advice you should only hand tighten a new oil filter or you will have the same problem all over again :) Good luck OP.

therafter1, Nov 14, 11:39pm
If you have any nylon strap (like motorcycle tie down type stuff) get a decent length, wrap it around the top end of the filter leaving yourself 3 or 4 inches to play with. Then wrap the excess strap that you have around the end of a long ½ inch drive socket extension and wind the excess onto the extension until it comes into contact with the filter, keeping everything nice and straight use either a decent sized ratchet or strong bar and start winding, and as the extension winds up against the filter it should pull tight against both the filter and the extension . see if that will start the thing moving.

If that doesn??

bigjerry, Nov 15, 2:33am
This is a very effective method. I was well please with myself when i did exactly this one day. The only problem with it is, you still dont go down to repco and buy a filter remover, which means the next oil and filter you do, its back to square 1 sometimes.

olsod2, Nov 15, 2:54am
like thereafter said.i had one i could not undo.my son made a remover out of a long reach socket.cut a slit down both sides ,fitted a length of set belt webbing in slot fitted extension to socket and wella off it came.still use it

sifty, Nov 15, 3:22am
I always do that. messy, but quite satisfying.

rovercitroen, Nov 15, 3:54am
Wearing a thick rubber gardening glove is excellent when trying to undo a tight filter. If the filter is warm or hot the rubber sticks to it as you grip it and gives plenty of grip so you can turn the filter without slipping. Got this tip from someone a few years ago and have been amazed at how well it works.

farnortherner, Nov 15, 4:38am
Ok My Mates husband got it off, they popped over to see what tool I wanted and then he just put the screwdriver in it and within minutes taken out, Wow what a relief for me.So gave him some 4 pack of Jim Beam to have for him.So glad its finally done.Thank you all for your help.And yes Made sure the rubber ring wasnt left on and oiled the filter and put on hand tight.Thanks again.

elect70, Nov 16, 2:11am
Cheap nasty things, quality euro BMW have a replaceable elementcase up hiclean & easy.