Have they toughend up on rust for WOFs of late?

gunhand, Jul 20, 8:01am
Have had a few cars and a van through with fails for rust. thats fine but some of the areas were center roof and were just rust spots, you know not surface but certainly not holes etc. just a quick sand etc dealt with it.Going to get expensive when you got 3 or 4 rusty bits over a huge roof and you want it painted nicely again. Yet same van had rust all round the rear side windows quite bad but that wasn't an issue as well as a hole in the side by the sliding door which had protruding jagged edges and again not a fail.

grangies, Jul 20, 8:30am
We do a fair amount of COF rust repairwork for small trucks and motor-homes.

Everytime one comes in I seem to find worse structural rust on the vehicles, compared to what the inspectors have picked upon.

The COF/WOF folks seem to pick on stupid little bits of corrosion that they may glimpse when walking past, and then tick the fail box.

I always show the customer what I have found that is worse than the COF sheet failures and often we repair that for them too.

I think it is a combination of laziness and lack of knowhow.

COF and WOF is carried out by mechanics who have no experience in body work, and I don't blame them for not wanting to be interested.

kcf, Jul 20, 8:31am

franc123, Jul 20, 8:40am
No changes recently, the VIRM states with a pretty good degree of clarity whst is and isn't failable, rust spots in a roof skin wouldn't be generally unless they were in the perimeter area adjacent to the pillars, top of screens etc. As for mechanics allegedly not knowing anything about bodywork there are more than a few so called panelbeaters who don't either, seen some hilarious attempts at welding in sills, aligning bumpers etc. And as for aligning headlights after replacement.some shops clearly have neither beamsetters or proper spot welders.

gunhand, Jul 20, 8:46am
Well I can say the spots were well over 150mm from any A pillar etc, more like 3 feet away. They were on the ribs of the van but I dont really call the roof of a van a strenght area thats for sure. Its more of an umbrella lol.
And as for panelbeaters not aligning bumpers, yea can understand that to a degree as they can be a right bitch at times.You could kick a modern bumper and stuff all the mounting points there that fragile.

grangies, Jul 20, 9:03am
We are talking WOF/COF inspectors here.

You cant compare them to dodgy panelbeaters.

The WOF people have to have the qualifications, and the dodgy panelbeaters don't.

lookoutas, Jul 20, 9:58pm
I knew you were opening up a digressive subject, even tho you didn't criticize the ex-mechanics.

We don't have to have a 30K spot welder, but do have to prove we can mig weld to specified standards, by periodic testing.
And I don't need any specific equipment for light alignment when I have a perfectly good leg, conveniently calibrated to wherever my finger is pointing.

Dodgy Panelbeaters without qualifications, only exist where idiots take their cars.

Edit; Now back to the subject everyone.

bellky, Jul 20, 10:01pm
Rust is better fixed early anyway.

lookoutas, Jul 20, 10:09pm
Spot-on bellky

pebbles61, Jul 20, 11:33pm
Rust is makes the car lighter, because race car!

bellky, Jul 20, 11:43pm
Trade Me is for grown ups. You have to be 18 to have an account I think.

alan1111, Jul 21, 6:49am
When i fail cars for rust i ALWAYS tell them to go to a qualified Panelbeater to get their opinion as i am not qualified in rust/structural damage etc. If the Panelbeater is willing to state in writing with his name and business card etc i will issue a wof but i 1st want proof they qualified etc. Just trying to safe my ass.

lookoutas, Jul 21, 10:57pm
You choose the job mate - why expect someone else to carry the can if you can't do it properly!

h2oldragon, Jul 21, 11:01pm
I bet the station had just been audited. They would have got a wrist slap for passing stuff with rust.

franc123, Jul 22, 1:02am
Whoa back the truck up, the above is what is supposed to happen, its NZTA procedure if the inspector believes there is a structural problem, be it obvious or hidden, to seek advice from a repair professional, and for them to approve any repair carried out. Have you not seen a structural profile sheet before!

lookoutas, Jul 22, 8:00am
That's right - we do the repair and fill it out. Not fill it out saying it doesn't need a repair.
Bugga that!

terry6000, Jul 22, 9:17am
what if i bogged up a small dent will they fail my wof

grangies, Jul 22, 9:20am
A dent in the sheetmetal they wont.

A dent in the chassis they will.

franc123, Jul 22, 9:24am
Well the key to success there is to do a good job of it isn't it!

terry6000, Jul 22, 9:34am
For sure

terry6000, Jul 22, 9:36am
Cause i was thinking they might think im bogging up a rust dent