So took the BA Falcon for a WOF today.

jetsin5, Jul 19, 9:25am
Failed on both front wheel bearings - have replaced both of them in the last year/30,000km. Had heard BA's chew through wheel bearings but this is a bit ridiculous.
Anyone have similar experiences/ heard of similar experiences!

don_logan, Jul 19, 9:29am
When they were replaced last time did they get torqued up to factory spec's!

don_logan, Jul 19, 9:32am
Think they require 225 ft lbs of torque, which is often out of the range of most general torque wrenches. so often get under done when replaced.

franc123, Jul 19, 9:34am
They don't chew them any faster than anything else, there are some cheap and nasty replacement hub units out there though. The other thing those sealed units don't like is kerbing the wheel rims on gutters etc, it can dent the ball races inside and stuff them

jetsin5, Jul 19, 9:37am
Definately were fitted to spec.
Have gone with ford ones this time - cost twice as much but hopefully will last a bit longer than the repco ones.
Now just to decide if I want to try an get my money back for the last one since it didnt make it to 20,000km

n1smo_gtir, Jul 19, 9:46am
if you got reciept and proof to show what your odometer says when you got the dud one done, you ight as well seek compensation.

jetsin5, Jul 19, 9:55am
Yeah repco said they will replace the one that has done less than 20,000km, but I don't want a replacement - I want my $$ back.
Note: We have owned the car for 2 years and replaced 3 wheel bearings, 1 at each WOF so far (1st a back one, then LH front, then RH front). All with repco wheel bearings. Then at this WOF the front two failed again.
Car had 17's on it, and we are pretty careful about kerbing and stuff when in town.

kingfisher21, Jul 19, 10:02am
Seal the plastic dustcap when you put it back together, they don't seal very well and draw water into the bearing.

jetsin5, Jul 19, 10:06am
Yeah have been doing some online research, read that they dont like the damp (we live in southland). One forum talked about repacking with marine grease, but I don't really like the idea of opening a sealled unit.

brokebloke1, Jul 20, 5:21am
This was common on the EL- AU3 thought they ( ford ) had fixed this problem on the BAs
our AU2 had front wheel bearing replace at 145000km I did them myselfso sealed them too

mugenb20b, Jul 20, 6:46am
You won't be able to even if you tried.