Timing belt need to be done in Toyota Hiace 1996

megan23, Jul 19, 9:02am
I am in chch need a low cost mechanic to do timing belt in van an some other thing would be cash

tmenz, Jul 19, 10:22am
Timing belt in a Hiace! Methinks it is a chain.

tmenz, Jul 19, 10:22am
Timing belt in a Hiace! Methinks it is a chain. Or am I wrong! Is it diesel or petrol!

mugenb20b, Jul 19, 10:24am
x1
Diesels have cambelts. Pricks to do unless it's a 1KZ motor.

tmenz, Jul 19, 10:25am
Aha!

megan23, Jul 19, 10:45am
Sorry cambelt diesel

flashgordon_nz, Jul 19, 12:16pm
x2
megan. up to you. hunt around and ask the questions of mechanics.
Having personal owned a few hiaces and used them for courier work, i can strongly reccomend taking it to a toyota dealership.
Im assuming it will be the 2.8D, so cam belt every 100,000km. Typically, if you don't know the previous service history, or when they were last done, you will also be looking at a tensioner, maybe cam and crank seals, water pump, thermostat, and maybe get the radiator looked at while it is out! The water pumps from toyota are cheap, and if anything else in there fails in the next 100,000km, it has to come apart again to repair.
I have found i can typically get the whole job done for around $900-1100 (depending on radiator) and it takes our local toyota guys a day to do. i may be paying a slightly higher hourly rate, but am happy with that they know what their doing, and have the parts in stock.

andrea_w, Jul 19, 12:33pm
^^^
Very good advice

stevo2, Jul 19, 6:06pm
x1
I had my old 96 2.8 done at 100,000km. Belt, tensioners water pump etc along with a full service. Cost $1k at Toyota New Plymouth.