Mechanical Breakdown Insurance worth it?

daz59, Aug 8, 10:03am
Hi, im looking for a late model 4x4 ute in the range of 25k, looking at a triton/rodeo/ranger. all the 4x4 utes no matter what brand seem to have thier problems. is mechanical insurance worth it! anyone have any idea what it costs!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 8, 10:30am
Costs vary depending on company, age and km's of vehicle and scope of cover.

Whether its worth it is easy enough to figure out once you know what its going to cost and what the excess, max payout and other limits are.

Generally speaking, its not usually worth while. That's because when you combine the excess with the cost of cover you usually have enough to cover a fairly hefty bill anyway.

When you consider the cover only lasts so long you may be better to start your own "insurance fund" with the money.

That said ,sometimes its practically given away as a sweetener on a deal in which case it can be worth it.

Bottom line, read the policy, consider the costs and do your own math.

elect70, Aug 9, 12:25am
Read the fine print,items regarded as" service items " not covered& must be serviced by garage& full records kept .In old days of WYNS warranties had to pour their crap into every recepticalevery1000 km . It was just a way ofselling theirproducts

rovercitroen, Aug 9, 12:42am
Also be aware that some mechanical warranties are not transferable to a new owner when you sell the car, others are for a transfer fee.

raymond00001, Aug 9, 1:52am
I would get one next time. But according to my mechanic there's only one out there that offers a good comprehensive range. Its the electrics you need to worry about, engine management, airbags, windows. One of my window motors packed up in a M35 Stagea, was not cheap, no second hand ones available at time. Read the fine print on any policy you ook at though.

smac, Aug 9, 2:03am
Any insurance should be looked at on an "can I afford not to have it" basis, not just on how much it costs.

If an expensive failure on your car would leave you financially destitute, then the $500 a year a comprehensive policy might cost may be a better way for you to face that possibility. $10 a week versus bankruptcy.hmmm.

However if you can afford repairs if they occur, you might be better off with the 5 hundy stashed away in savings. We have a 1 year policy in place, but only because it came as a sweetener from the dealer.

andy61, Aug 9, 2:09am
Usually not worth the paper they are printed on.The insurance company usually find a way out ofpaying ieyou didnt do maintenance on time,etc etc etc .

smac, Aug 9, 2:11am
Yeah usually. The stats on claims versus payouts back that up.

Hey waaait a minute.

Cool story bro.

raymond00001, Aug 9, 2:14am
Also most if not all of them have to be purchased at the same time as you buy the vehicle.

kazbanz, Aug 9, 2:25am
Daz-I would strongly recommend in this case to take out a MBI
As others have said though some MBI's are useless.
You really have to choose between Autosure and AA because the only other real playerLumley has pulled out of the market.
AA and Autosure policieshave simple T and C
Petrol serviceing is at any mechanic.and every 15000km/12 months whichever is sooner
Diesel servicing is 10000km or 12 months whichever is sooner
The excess is 200 for petrol and 250/350 for diesel.
They cover everything except,battery shocks,exhaust,brake pads,and radio.
I only recommend an MBI when theres the likelyhood of expensive repairs. In this case I feel its well worth the $1000-$1500

kazbanz, Aug 9, 2:27am
Good onya. You do the right thing which is pretty easy -service the vehicle -they payout